The New Logo

The New Logo

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Top 25 Picks: Separating the Contenders from the Pretenders

As usual I am running late with the picks but would you expect anything less from me?  I didn't think so.

23. Vanderbilt at 1. Kentucky- I told you guys this week that South Carolina was a scary game for the Wildcats and sure enough they got beat.  As weird as it sounds, the Commodores have owned the Wildcats in the past couple of years. But in those years, there was no John Wall, rut roh!  UK 78-69 

2. Kansas at 13. Kansas State- Am I the only one who jumped on the K-State bandwagon? I love Jacob Pullen's beard and Frank Martin's intensity on the basketball court is awesome too.  Kansas I believe is the best team in college basketball right now with the combination of speed/size.  This one will be close and down to the wire yet Sherron Collins gets a big shot.  KU 74-73 

4. Syracuse at DePaul- The only team that has a problem with the Blue Demons is Marquette.. ouch. There is no way the Orange lose this one.  CUSE 82-59 

5. Michigan State-vs. Northwestern- Michael Wilbon of PTI said his Cats were going to pull off this upset and the Spartans have impressed with their late game heroics.  The Cats are a different team on the road, Sparty big in this one.  MSU 73-54 

6. Texas-vs. Baylor- A big rivalry game for the state of Texas and it seems like the Bears are just a step away from being a great team.  The Longhorns need a big performance out of Dexter Pittman and Avery Bradley. I like the Horns in this one.  UT 79-70 

7. Duke-at 11. Georgetown- The Blue Devils have been shaky on the road this season minus the game against Clemson so I am not buying into Duke just yet. The same goes with the Hoyas who laid an egg against the Orange but maybe Syracuse is just that good.  I think this will be a defensive struggle with the home team pulling it out.   GTOWN 67-63

8. Gonzaga-at San Francisco- I don't think Bill Russell is playing in this one for the Dons so the Zags will roll. ZAGS 79-54 

9. West Virginia- vs. Louisville- The Cardinals are suffering from losing Terrence Williams and others from last year's team and the Mountaineers are still trying to use their size to their advantage, they will control the game pretty good today.  WV 78-66

10. BYU-vs. Utah- The Holy War of basketball.  People love the Cougars especially Pat Forde of ESPN who said they have the ability to win it all.. pysch.   But anyways, I do not Hanno Mottola is playing in this one for the Utes, the Cougars will win big.  BYU 76-61  '

12. Purdue-vs. Penn State- The Boilermakers look like they have found their swagger after losing three straight in the Big Ten.  They play a pretty weak Penn State team and they should be able to control Taylor Battle.  PUR 69-53 

14. Tennessee-vs. Florida- A big time rivalry and this is a must-win for the Gators who need a signature SEC win. The Vols suffered a tough loss at home on Wednesday and I have a hard time seeing them lose another one at home.  TENN 85-81 

19. UConn-vs. Marquette- My Golden Eagles have played very well against the Huskies and I think this year will be no different.  They need to look at the game plan from Providence against UConn and I believe the three point shooting will be the difference.  MU 84-78 

21. Clemson-vs. Maryland- It's time for the Terps to show if they are the real deal in the ACC. I love Vasquez, I think he cockier than hell but is absolutely fearless.  I think the Tigers are very lethal at home and I think the Terps will not be ready for it.  CLEM 82-73

24. Ohio State-vs. Minnesota- The Buckeyes are reeling after losing my main man Mark Titus for this season, I kid I kid.  But they have played better with Evan "the Villian" Turner back from injury and the Gophers, I don't think have enough to win on the road.  OSU 63-56

Winners also this week...
15. Temple, 17. Pittsburgh, 20. Mississippi, 22. Georgia Tech, 25. Northern Iowa, and USPET UWM over 18. Butler

No comments: