The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The First College Picks of the Season

I am a fan of making picks because I like being right and I really do not mind my friends making fun of me for my stupidity when I really miss a game.  So we start again with college basketball that most of the non-conference is done and I think we have a good idea on who are the good teams. 

Tonight
2. Texas at Arkansas- The Razorbacks have had a tough season so far (currently sitting at 7-7) but they always play inspiring in this rivalry, therefore I wouldn't be surprised if they give the Longhorns a game for awhile. But Damon James and Dexter Pittman will prove to be more physical wearing down the Hogs.  TEXAS 81-67

Minnesota at 4. Purdue- At the start of the year, many thought this game would be a Big Ten classic but only one team has lived up to their rankings. I have been really impressed with the Boilermakers who look damn tough at home and E'Twan Moore is a very good player. PURDUE 73-64

Wednesday
5. Duke vs. Iowa State (played in Chicago)- Duke is like the Notre Dame of basketball because they travel around the country to play teams.  I think this could have potential to be an upset. The Cyclones are hot and they will be inspired to play the Blue Devils, I think it comes down to the wire. DUKE 78-74

Memphis at 7. Syracuse- The Tigers pushed Tennessee close this weekend at home and they are a very young team that plays very well under Josh Pastner.  I think the Cuse will be alright after their lost against Pittsburgh and their zone defense should swelter Memphis. CUSE 88-73

20. Wisconsin at 11. Michigan State- The Badgers will be tested against the two best teams in the Big Ten and I believe they have to come out 1-1 to be considered a top-flight Big Ten team. I think this is their best chance with a Spartan team with a bit of trumoil (Izzo benching Kalin Lucus) and their ability to play well at the Breslin Center. Always a close game, and I think Wisconsin's bench wins the game. UW 66-62

12. Georgetown at Marquette- Oh boy. I cannot understand how Marquette cannot hit free throws or how they schedule games when I cannot watch them. They have played the Hoyas tougher than most teams in the Big East but you have to worry about Greg Monroe inside against a team with no one taller than 6'7. The Golden Eagles need to attack the basket at a furious pace drawing their bigs into foul trouble if that doesn't happen it will be a decisive win for the Hoyas. While I will say they are inconsistent and have been known to lay eggs.  In addition, if Marquette speeds the game up the Hoyas really seem to struggle with it. MU 73-65

-Charlie.

No comments: