The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Disappointed By LeBron

My roommate Brett gave me props about my blog and then talked about how great Simmons podcast is which both shocked me then I wondered if the world might be ending.  Now, I hope to get a negative reaction by this post about his boy, LeBron James but who knows maybe I will get props here. 

Remember last year when LeBron said, "I am going to participate in the 2010 Dunk Contest."  He said that flat-out and then when the dunk participants came out LeBron was nowhere to be found.  This leads me back to what I have said in the past... LeBron may top five most insecure athletes in all of sports today.  He is afraid to lose at something he is supposed to be "the best in the world." 

The reason I call LeBron out like this is because time after time, he refuses to do anything that makes him look like less of an athlete. This all goes back to him not allowing the Jordan Crawford Dunk Tape out, which is like the sports version of a celebrity sex tape when the story broke. I wrote that time, I felt LBJ handled it poorly just like he did with Charles Barkley.

 LeBron's ego has grown to big to allow himself for that kind of thing to happen where there is a chance he might lose in an individual competition. It started with King James as nickname out of High School, then Olympics, MVP, messing around before the game,  movie/hit song made about him, and now outrageously holding his follow-through.  It has grown to proportions I think none of us thought possible but you know what? It's not LeBron's fault. People like Jay-Z and media outlets pampered LeBron letting him roam like the alpha dog expanding that ego, nobody has ever leveled with James telling him how things should go. The last guy this happened to... Kobe Bryant

Remember before the sex scandal, Kobe Bryant was on top of the world.  He had endorsements from the same places LeBron has and even more, I believe at that time.  He had already won three rings and people were ready to crown him in the next Michael Jordan.  But then his world turned black as he got accused of sexually assaulting a young white female and then blamed for Shaq leaving Los Angeles.  Those same media outlets that blew up his ego made him the asshole of the NBA for a long time.  Until he won another ring by himself was that title released from Kobe.  I am not saying the same thing could happen to James but if he leaves Cleveland, do people change their minds on him? That's a million dollar question right now. 

No matter if you think James chickened out or people in his camp told him, it was too much of a risk. You still have to address the situation at hand that LeBron's ego is getting too big for his own good, and it's something James cannot control. It is only a matter time before something happens to regulate that ego.

-Charlie.

No comments: