The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Irony of Brett Favre

Just when you thought that Brett Favre would be back in the Super Bowl for the first time since 1997 and Ryan Longwell was going to hit a game-winning Field Goal to win the game.  But then, there are twelve men on the field (not fully Favre's fault) and then he throws an interception.  

I know you have seen a lot of ESPN, columnists all over America, and every blogger who sits in their mom's basement has wrote about Favre.  But I watched the man for 19 years of my life and then watched one year from a distance as he is off in the AFC.  Finally, this year he buried a dagger into my heart by going to the Minnesota Vikings, our most hated rivals in the last ten years (no way can you argue this, the Chicago Bears have been a complete joke for the most part in the last decade).  

I watched Favre this year have one of the best years of his career and I will not say that Brett had as good of a year as he did in his three straight MVP seasons because honestly, Favre had less on the offensive end during that run.  Anyways, he made the Vikings completely change their offensive landscape for him and didn't care that the Vikings had a top 10 running back in Adrian Peterson.   Even though, he played for our rivals... I was impressive with what Favre was doing at age 40 still.

If you read any of my prior posts about Favre, I thought Favre would break down like he did with the New York Jets or something even worse. I also thought the Packers would beat them twice and play with so much pride against Favre. My head clearly buried in sand during this whole process and I believe any other respecting Packer fan would believe the same thing.  The true reason wasn't Favre's age but the fact of the matter, the Vikings are cursed.   In addition, I didn't take into consideration that Favre is a warrior. 

I have seen Favre gut out a bunch of performances, but not many playoff games like that.  Favre seemed like he did everything possible to get to the Super Bowl that night and for most of the night, it wasn't Favre's fault they lost the game.  If Peterson didn't fumble, same with Bernard Berrian the Vikings do not lose this game and playing in Miami in two weeks.  Although what we got was Favre throwing a gut-wrenching interception to end regulation. 

Since the 1997 Super Bowl, it is like the same movie I have been watching when seeing Favre in the playoffs. He throws a big time interception or makes monumental mistakes. He even did it before winning the Super Bowl.  I hate to tell Favre fans this but the man isn't clutch in the postseason.  Yes he did win a Super Bowl but so did Trent Dilfer.  I think he isn't in the Top 5 quarterbacks if you consider winning postseason games more than stats.  If stats were your main argument then you have to put Jim Kelly and Dan Marino in that argument who are classic postseason failures.  I do not know if I am ready to call Favre a top 5 quarterback of all time. 

I will not be shocked if Favre comes back because seriously, the man could do whatever he wants with the Viking franchise.  I think it would be hilarious if he gets that itch again after the Vikes somehow pull off the trade for Donovan McNabb. This would probably mean that Brett would be shipped to Oakland... Mitch our resident Raider fan responded with a... JUST WIN BABY!  Favre will do what he wants because simply, he is Favre. 

-Charlie.

No comments: