The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Yanks Partyin' Like It's 2004

There are many that are praising the New York Yankees for getting back Javier Vasquez from the Atlanta Braves for Melky Cabrera with a bunch of other pieces in that as well. I personally hate this trade for the Yankees because this is the guy that shit the bed in game seven of the ALCS in 2004 when the Yankees collapsed after being up three games to zero.

I understand that the Yankees needed to strengthen their pitching staff in general after the Boston Red Sox brought in John Lackey and the media began to get into General Manager Brian Cashman's head that he needed to make a move.  When really I doubt that Dice-K will be a better option than Joba Chamberlain.  Even Joba wins over Tim Wakefield, I mean there is no reason why the Yankees needed to send Melky Cabrera to Atlanta.  I could see if the Yanks weren't finding production in the first half of the season in their fourth and fifth pitchers then making a deal to get a guy like Vasquez.

To the stat nerds, I understand that Vasquez is the only pitcher in this decade to have ten wins every year and 150 strikeouts.  I also know that he eats innings and one of the guy on ESPN tells me that this will help C.C. Sabathia in the long haul.  This is my response... Vasquez postseason record: 0-1 10.50 ERA. Any Yankee fan in their right mind knows that the postseason matters more than anything else in that town. I am telling you that Vasquez is a complete choke in the postseason.

Also can we say that Javier might be a cancer?  He has been traded to six different teams since 2003.  Either he is a very expendable opition to a lot of teams who have him or that he really doesn't provide much in the clubhouse.  That is the only way I can explain why Vasquez is a cancer. 

One thing I like about this trade is how Atlanta reels in Melky Cabrera.  He is only 24, he hit over .275 and thirteen homers is not as good as you would probably want it for a corner outfielder.  Still these aren't bad numbers for a six hitter and I think going to the AL to NL for hitters can help out guys see Matt Holiday, perfect example. He will be an All-Star in Hotlanta in three years.

-Charlie.

No comments: