The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The First Ever Chucks Corner Running Diary

Well a tough Marquette lost which has my editor and me at odds. I will not write much about what happens but the things that went through my head during the game.  I knew they had lost before I wrote this, had no idea how it happened.  I was going to do Wisconsin as well but I went to the bar, sorry for partying.

I thought that because Marquette is starting the Big East season and Wisconsin is in an intriguing bowl game against Miami that I would do a running diary of both. I had to work so I DVR’d both starting right now. I have already hate myself for doing this because I know the Marquette outcome and my sister forgot to extend the taping incase it didn’t make it. Oh well .


9:30: Starting the night off sitting with a Miller Lite, Pretzels, and String Cheese. We have John Sanders and Bob Wenzel calling the game. I have to be honest I am worried about the Mountaineers size.

9:39: I do not believe that Bob Huggins actually owns a suit, he just wearing track suits all the time I swear to God.

9:40: Oh no the blue uniforms. I believe we are 0-2 with them with a heartbreaking lost to Louisville.

9:41: Not a promising start, 5-0 WVA. Key Fact- No one on WVA is shorter than 6’7 in their starting lineup, Marquette has no one taller than 6’7 in their starting lineup… rut roh.

9:42: Lazar Hayward already doing too much, two really ill-advised shot attempts.

9:43: Jimmy Butler gets the bucket after a turnover, where the foul? I don’t know, Mach reminded me earlier tonight that Jim Burr is reffing the game WVA 7-4

9:46: I realize the Big East isn’t the best conference this year but four teams in the Top 10 is pretty unreal to begin the New Year.

9:47: Marquette shows a press! I have been calling for this since Chris Otule went out, I hope it works.

9:48 Darius Johnson-Odom (who will now be known as DJO) buries a three, the kid loves the jumper but then Joe Flowers throws one down nasty. BUT another three from this time for Hayward tie game 11-11, 13 mins left

9:50 Why is Hayward getting booed every time he touches the ball? Doesn’t make sense but then again, this is West Virginia.

9:51 Wenzel is annoying me already with now Maurice Aker being known as “the little guy”. We get it, he is shorter than everyone else. He is also slower than most, did you know that Bob?

9:52 Hayward hits another three, giving Marquette their first lead. His three-pointer looks good but sometimes that can be the kiss of death as he will shoot whenever he gets the ball. 14-13, 11 mins left

9:56 Always a fun game is what is Buzz wearing? I like the suit coat choice but those flowery ties that he wants to rock all the time suck. But his style is improving

9:58 Hayward another three. Just money from outside right now… Also Bob he is 26 percent because he is the first-scoring option. Look at the other years. MU 17-16

9:59 JENNINGS GOT DUNKED ON!!!!!!!!!!!! Nasty dunk by Hayward after forcing a turnover, 14 points so far. MU 20-16

10:00 I like the idea of the dribble-drive offense for Marquette, especially against a bigger team. Lets the “little guys” of Marquette create much more

10:03 Anyone else who follows Marquette thinks it’s weird that Joe Fulce has hair? Not a good look.

10:04 Burr can we get a foul there, Jimmy Butler airballed that for a reason

10:05 Too many offensive boards, Devin Ebanks follows his shot twice . He is a hell of a player and I have feeling we will be saying “the Golden Eagles getting killed on the boards.”

10:07 6-0 run by West Virginia, must keep them at bay here not let them get hot.

10:08 I took Wenzel about five seconds to realize Marquette didn’t have a football team… As Chad OchoCinco would say “Cmon Son!”

10:11 Butler nails a three and Marquette is doing a great job on draining the shot-clock a bit then finding the open basket, I like it a lot even if it reminds of Wisconsin a little bit. MU 32-27

10:13 Butler makes a dumb, dumb second foul. Should have realized that he got beat underneath, allow the easy bucket he might need that foul later. MU 34-30

10:14 Lazar hits another at the end of the half, 17 points but then the Mountaineers get the momentum builder with a 50 footer at half time. MU 37-33 at the half

10:18 Seeing as where we are in the DVR (an hour and a few minutes in) I think I will cut out before the end, shit. Also the Mountaineers have taken the lead

10:19 Is there something against Butler getting calls. Seriously got hit harder than Michael Lohan’s girlfriend on that one ( if you don’t get the reference, look it up please, good stuff).

10:20 Mbao getting some minutes in both halves so far. Interesting approach and I wonder how much he really is improving in practice.

10:21 Both teams pressing… My personal dream of a game, I love to see teams use the press to their advantage.

10:23 Pretty poor start for Marquette, they are only down one but they cannot do this against good teams. But they are forcing turnovers. 40-39 WVA

10:25 I realize Ebanks and Da’Shun Butler are the stars of the team but Kevin Jones is a stud for the Mountaineers. Really good player, he has perfect skill-set

10:28 Hayward finally on the board in the second half, took him eight minutes to get those points. He cannot disappear for lengths of times, reminds me of Marcus Landry last year for the Badgers in those terms

10:29 Rut-roh WVA Butler has woken up. Not good at all, but the Warriors still have a one point lead, take it back… Casey Mitchell drills a three. WVA 51-49

10:31 Hey Wenzel, Jon Gruden called he wants his hyperbole statements back.

10:37 Sorry for the break in the action but I was searching to see if I can watch the end of the game on ESPN360. Nope. Time Warner just sucks right now. If they take away Fox, they really do suck for multiple reasons.

10:38 55-53 MU with 7 mins left. The only reason why Marquette is winning is because of their three-point shooting. An astounding 10 of 15 from behind the arc.

10:40 Also Marquette has forced 15 turnovers, I don’t understand how this team lost to NC State or Florida State, just puzzling in my opinion. They look like a very tough team who makes mistakes at time. MU 57-53, 5 mins left or so

10:42 Dwight Buycks with a big fadeaway jumper, I like him for the most part but he tries to do a lot of 1 on 1 stuff at times. MU 59-53

10:44 How does this happen after a timeout? Jimmy Butler turns it over, just a really bad decision by Marquette leading to turnover and a bucket. MU 59-57 2:40 left

10:46 Butler hits a big runner with two minutes remaining. Ridiculous angle for him to take that shot. MU 61-57

10:47 Holy shit, a push-off call on West Virginia, cannot believe they actually called that. Minute-thirty left. How the hell do they blow this four-point lead? This is disappointing

10:48 Minute left, DJO goes to line shooting two. Oh no, I am willing to bet he misses…

10:49 Yup, misses the first one… shit.

10:49 Nails the second one. 62-57 minute left

10:51 Wenzel logic is so half-ass on this one. He feels that fouling is okay because the clock is their friend right now, no we want this mother fucker to end.

10:51 Damnit, we forced a horrible shot and Buycks had it his hands before Jones ripped it out. MU 62-59

10:52 I really do wonder why the Mountaineers didn’t foul earlier. Doesn’t make any sense, 23 seconds left. DJO with the one and one.

10:53 Barely hit it. Just a choke, and Sanders jinxed the shit out it before it.

10:53 Ebanks with the dunk, God this is going to hurt. MU 62-61

10:53 Five minutes left on the DVR, versus 11.2 left to play

10:54 Jimmy Butler gets to line, clutch and him do not mix. Misses. Fuck fuck fuck

10:55 Butler nails an incredible two, fuck fuck fuck. Really hurts, I cannot believe he hit that shot. The Mountaineers take the lead for the first time in what seems like forever. 63-62

10:56 Three out of four missed down the stretch doesn’t help at all for Marquette

Well it was disappointing at the end and Marquette shouldn't have dropped this game. Lets hope for better against a tough Nova team.
 
-Charlie.

No comments: