The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, December 7, 2009

Sam Bowie Curse Infects Rip City Again

I do not know if there is such thing as a Sam Bowie curse.  But for those who do not know... Rip City is a nickname for Portland that the Trailblazers wear on their jerseys this season, and secondly, Sam Bowie was drafted over Michael Jordan in the 1984 NBA Draft. Now it appears that Greg Oden's weak knees are infecting the city of Portland again while Kevin Durant makes it rain in Oklahoma City. 

Without a question, I became a part of the "Greg Oden better than Kevin Durant camp".  Honestly, I thought that Durant not being able to bench press 185 bothered me (call me a guido but who really cares) and the fact that Oden was a pure center.  Now he has knees like Patrick Ewing did in the late part of his career and he is only in his third year, rut roh big time.  

Bill Simmons, my hero said in one of his articles that Portland is completely behind Oden and wants Oden to be successful so badly more than any other fan base.  That saddens me personally to see Oden go down then.  The fans really want him to be the best possible player and they do not boo him.  Portland wants him to do well but I have no idea how long they can stand by Oden.  Another knee injury makes the writing on the wall for Oden that he might be finished. 

I hate to say that too because Oden is a nice guy and really doesn't take himself that seriously with all of those commercials.  I want to root for Oden but I have lost all confidence that he will have a good career with those knees.

-Charlie.

No comments: