The New Logo

The New Logo

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Marquette Game Wrap-up at Providence

My good buddy Joe's facebook status last night was "The Marquette game took 12 years off my life." Probably a perfect way to sum up how the game went last night against the Providence Friars. So here are my quick-hitters about the game

-The first half was probably the worst all season, I mean they were just letting the Friars into the lane and Geoff McDermott was having his ways with everybody on the Marquette roster.

-Joe was big about this last night and I agree, Buzz needs to become less stubborn with his man-to-man defense. I loved when Williams went to the 1-3-1 at times during the non-conference season and has seemed to go away from that. Recently, the zone of choice has been the matchup zone which I have no problem with.

-Even though they might not have scored a ton of points, the bench was huge last night. When Marquette was struggling in the first half, both Jimmy Butler and Joseph Fulce scored a couple points and provided a defensive spark. Then in the second half, Maurice Acker played his best half of basketball I have seen out of him in awhile. If this continues, Mo could be a big part of next year's team.

-The second half was an interesting for various reasons but one especially was the disappearing act of the Marquette big men. No Dwight Burke, no Patrick Hazel, and no Chris O'Tule. Many would feel that was a recipe for disaster but it wasnt as Marquette out-hustled the Friars and on their comeback run, they had Wes Matthews all alone in the paint which because of his physical nature made things happened.

-I know I express some frustrations with Lazar Hayward the last two games but he played better than I have seen him this year. Just making shots when he needed to and just finding openings in the corner all game long. In addition, Hayward usually has been a threat at the top of the key but now its just all-around.

-I have instituted a new rule in my fanhood with mandatory multiple floor slaps when Marquette is on a comeback, trust me it worked for me, it can work for you.

-Another big reason why the second half was entertaining was because a fan came out on the court after his brother Jeff Xaiver got his eye swollen shut after a collision with Fulce. It was a clean play but obviously some people didnt think so.

-Overall this was a great win for Marquette, they got out-rebounded, and let Providence shoot over 55%. Not a great performance but the sole fact the Eagles found a way to win this game is very impressive. I expect Marquette to hover around the 10-11th ranking when they come on Monday.

-Charlie.

1 comment:

SteamrollerMann said...

An awesome comment on the floor slap that you do. It is a great site to see.