The New Logo

The New Logo

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Games of the Week for College Basketball

Here are the picks for the week and I am floored that I have posted 50 times already because really winter break was boring so this was my outlet.

Monday:
8. Marquette at 22. Notre Dame- Whew. Thats the first thing I have to say because this is a true test for my Golden Eagles. They havent played a game like this in long while and the Fighting Irish just lost their 45 game winning streak at home where this game is being played. The reason I think Marquette can win this game is because their guard play is good enough to contain the X Factor-Kyle McAlarney and enough big bodies to hold down Shrek himself. A wrap up will come tomorrow. MU 76-73

5. Oklahoma at Oklahoma State- A big time rivalry with many implications for a team like the Cowboys. They need this win to start building a resume and by the looks of it, they havent played much different so far. Can Blake Griffen be contained is the bigger question? They have a bunch of great guards and really nothing inside that seems to match up with the monster from Norman. I think the Sooners win but dont expect a blowout. OKLA 69-63

Tuesday:
12. Texas at Baylor- The Bears proved to alot of the NCAA world that they arent as good as their ranking showed. They looked like a middle of the road Big 12 team by getting their asses handed to them at home. Now the question is how do they respond to the second best team in the Big 12? I think they will come out firing but I am not quite sure they have the man power to keep up with a team like the Longhorns. TEXAS 83-75


18. Purdue at Wisconsin- If this wasnt a key game, I dont know what is. The Badgers need this win more than any team in the nation or like Seth Davis of CBS said today, "They could look forward to the NIT." Rough statement to make although they need this win so damn bad. Its a great thing for the Badgers that this game is at the Kohl Center but alot like Baylor, they do not have the players to keep up with the Boilermakers. I will say this though, I wouldnt be shocked if the Badgers win. PURDUE 64-58



Wednesday
1. Duke at 4. Wake Forest- The big matchup of the week and this has been a classic ACC battle royal. Once again, Duke's defense should not be overlooked but they will need to slow down this game if they want to win. In my opinion, I think guys like Jeff Teague, Al-Farouq Aminu they can run for days with those guys. Another huge factor always with Duke is if they can make their three-point shots if those fall plus their defense, not many can beat them. I will take the hungry Demon Deacons in this one and once again, we will have a new number one next week. WAKE 69-66

3. Pittsburgh at 21. Villanova- Once again, the Cats find themselves against a team who has some beef inside (DeJuan Blair) and they really dont. They were able to control the size of UCONN last week somewhat but if their guards take it to Blair to get him in foul trouble they can win this rivalry game. I just dont think Nova is there yet and Pitt will pull away late. PITT 71-63

Thursday
20. Illinois at 24. Minnesota- The Gophers once again host a rank team but the big question is can they get it done? I was briefly watching the Fighting Illini on Saturday and they really like to go inside which the Gophers could prevent with Ralph Sampson III. In addition, Minnesota needs to keep all their guards out of foul trouble, it seems like one always ends up in foul trouble. I will take the Gophers in a late victory. MINN 62-59

18. St. Mary at 25. Gonzaga- A matchup for all the night owls as this game begins at 11. This is the premier matchup in the West Coast Conference and I believe the Gaels have had Gonzaga's number for the last couple of years. The Zags are picking up stream rather quickly and they can still be a threat in the tournament. The question will be can they stop Paddy Mills? I think so. ZAGS 75-67

-Charlie.

No comments: