The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

How to Handle the Fresh Prince of Milwaukee- UPDATE

I have been told I need to be more creative on my titles so here is my try. And I am not covering anything on the inauguration because simply this is a sports blog and to be honest, President Obama has nothing to do with sports at the moment.

Here is my original article from last March about the Prince Fielder money situation but there are a couple things that have changed. Prince isnt the face of the franchise anymore in my opinion, that title belongs to Ryan Braun because he signed a multi-year deal with the Brewers last May plus Fielder turned down a contract much similar to Braun's. Another thing that changed is we dont have Matt LaPorta anymore so that isnt an option.

Now my mood about this depressing situation has changed and its a polar opposite. In the next two years, the Brewers need to explore all sorts of options with trading Prince Fielder in the upcoming years. Take that in real quick, I mean my buddy Seth told me last year "He wouldnt be a Brewer fan if the Crew traded him. Lets get out of fantasy world all you dreamers, Prince doesnt want to be a Brewer after his contract is up. He hasnt be friendly with the media, didnt show up for autographs at a "Brewer Media Day.", and I felt he hated Ned Yost so his play lacked throughout the year until Yost was gone.

Now, my trusty sidekick Dozer has provided some key examples as we were speaking about this issue. In addition, Doug Melvin the General Manager of the Brewers said today that Prince is a keeper. Doz feels that he hasnt got the contract that he has deserved although the Brewers cannot afford that at the moment. My big question to him was "Do you think he wants to be a Brewer?" His response: "I wouldnt see why he wouldt. His best friend is here, we have the most African-Americans in Major League Baseball and its not like he is distant from his teammates. Also read his blog, he's deep into a Big Ten Midseason Report at the moment.

If we keep playing in this fantasy land, we will get nothing in return for Fielder because he is long gone in Milwaukee. He wants to play in a big market and in 2010, the Boston Red Sox makes a ton of sense for all parties involved, next year. David Ortiz has maybe one or two years left in him and then he is out of here (I suggested this same situation last year too). Fielder becomes their DH and the Brewers received a young pitcher like Jon Lester, and another big time prospect.

I will continue to support Prince in Milwaukee while it lasts trust me but as I was with Favre, I am just opening the eyes of the people who are close-minded. Fielder's arbitration will be ugly, trust me. They will talk about how much he is overweight and how poor his defense was so dont expect Prince to come out happy. According to my trusty friend Doz, he filed for eight million dollars which isnt too high in my opinion. Like I said before in no way do I hate Fielder or want him out, I am just providing some evidence although I am so sad it has come to this.

UPDATE: Prince signs a two year deal for 18.7 million dollar deal which makes sense and a typical Boras move because he has done it with Texieria and others who the Journal mentioned. This is just an overall good move because I stated before arbitration would be ugly.

-Charlie.

No comments: