The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Boston College Toss Up

As a young blog writer, this is the first time in a long awhile I am completely torn on a situation. So I will present both sides of the argument and maybe in a follow-up article, I will make a decision, I might not. Here we go...

First, lets lay down the facts of the situation at hand. Jeff Jagodzinski, the head football coach at Boston College has been at BC for two years and posted a 20-8 record with two trips to the ACC Championship game. Rather impressive start for the young coach. Jagodzinski has spent some time in the NFL was asked to interview for the New York Jets job. Then Gene DiFillippo, the Athletic Director of Boston College does his best Lee Corso impression saying "Not so fast, my friend!" And explains to Jagodzinski, he will be fired if he takes this interview. Jagodzinski took that interview and now he will be fired according to sources. I cannot chose a side to be on honestly.

Lets first take a look at from Jagodzinski perspective. There are multiple scernios on why he would risk his job for this interview. One might be, he will go into DiFillippo office and say "Hey I was only doing it for publicity going into the home stretch of recruiting, I wasnt trying to hurt the university at all." Another thing is he saw the BC job as a stepping stone and wanted to prove that he was an NFL-ready head coach which many are assuming at this time. Maybe its because he is from Wisconsin, but I really want to believe he is not a snake like a Crean or a Petrino. I want to believe he just wanted to help out the program but no evidence so far has gave me that right to believe.

Now from DiFillippo view of the situation. He is the first Athletic Director to step up to coaches saying "You are done for as our head coach if you think about going elsewhere." Thats a bold step that he is taking and he should be applauded for striking some fear in the eye of the coach. DiFillippo has now created a path for all AD's to take a stand against their coaches interviewing for jobs. But really how fair is that? DiFillippo is the one who made the contract and his AD buddies give their super long ridiculous extensions. Not everyone is a Coach K or Bobby Knight.

I hope this situation turns out for the best on both sides.

-Charlie.

No comments: