The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, July 20, 2009

Comin' in Hot, Leavin' Cold Interview: Mitch Pratt

Mr. Pratt, Thank you for doing the first "Comin in Hot, Leavin Cold" interview. He writes two blogs and is probably in my top three favorite people to talk sports with overall.

MP: Well, thanks Chuck. I'm honored to be a part of the inaugural session of this new segment. We'll have to work on that title but for now, it'll do. I've been slacking mightily in my posting, but I'll right the ship sooner or later.

1. First off, whats your overall thoughts on the Brewers so far?
My overall thoughts on the Brewers are that I am very surprised at the notion that the bullpen has probably been a strength of the team over the first half of the season. We all knew that Braun and Fielder would be good (I didn't think Fielder was going to do this well). Casey McGehee has been a quiet but great addition, and the best part is that he was a Cub last year and they could use the offense at this point. I think that the starting pitching could be better but it is what it is. Manny Parra hopefully got rid of his cranial rectumitis in Triple-A and can be a decent addition to the rotation. Yo needs to quit walking so many guys and he'll be alright. I think that the All-Star break couldn't have come at a better time Chuck. We just got the cream of the NL crop dumped on us at the end of the first half here, but now we get some bunnies to get us back on top of the NL Central

2. Do you agree that Ken Macha screws with the lineup so much that his name should be Ned Yost?
I like that Kenny has been jumbling the lineup. Putting Jason Kendall at leadoff is a bit of a stretch but in a way, it's better than having a guaranteed out right before the pitcher. He's just trying to find the right combo of guys in front of Braun and Fielder

3. One Brewer that needs to have a great second half?
One Brewer that needs to have a great second half would be, ya boy, Corey Hart. He needs to step it up a notch because my patience is wearing thin with him my friend. It would be nice to see McGehee have a good second half as well.

4. Do we make a move or do you we sell any of our guys?
Honestly Chuck, I can't really answer that at this point. I think we could go either way. But, if you put a gun to my head and asked again, I would say that we are a buyer at the deadline, and you have to figure that it will be a starting pitcher

5. Speaking of trades, who do you feel is the biggest name that gets traded before the July deadline?
I think you have to go with Roy Halladay there. If not Halladay, I've heard the Giants are done with Zito. Maybe someone from Arizona...Dan Haren? Otherwise I haven't heard of too much being out there currently.

6. Who do you like for the World Series and do you see the Brewers getting back to the playoffs
Wow. I think for a World Series matchup, you certainly have to look at the Red Sux as a contender from the AL. Pitching is incredibly deep and the hitting is no issue either. The Dodgers are pretty much unbeatable and they're having fun in the process. It's just something that Manny brings that keeps the team loose and relaxed. As for the Brewers, I hate to say it, but it's looking more and more bleek as the losses pile up. I'll have to take a rain check on that one.

7. Whats your thoughts on the Richard Jefferson situation and what would you do with a black AMEX card in NYC?
I have no clue what you're talking about in the second part of that question (obviously Mitch doesnt read my articles, joking haha), but as for the Jefferson trade...I like it. It frees up the money situation and the scoring situation. You can't have a team with two "high scorers" and Michael Redd is just that for the Bucks, it's his team. The move also means that we can get Joe Alexander a fair shake for the upcoming season as he may be the starter and the small forward

8. Continuing on with the NBA theme, who has done the best job this offseason and who has made themselves even worse.
I think that you have to look at the Lakers getting even better with the Ron Artest signing. He can guard the best opposing player and then Kobe can get a slight break on the defensive side of the court. I think the Rockets have made themselves worse. They have only one Center on the roster and he will likely be out for the year. They signed Trevor Ariza to a big-time deal and he is barely anything more than a role player, but we will see.

9. Thoughts/Feelings on Brandon Jennings?
Initially, I was a tad upset with the pick, but after I thought about it, I am happy with it. He is a hella quick point guard who just needs to build up an NBA body. If he could bring back the flat top for a game or two that would be fantastic as well

10. Now you are a Bay Area fan and Oregon Duck fan, care to explain where the love came for all of these teams?
I want to clear the record and say that I am NOT a "Bay Area fan." I like the Oakland Raiders, yes. I have always liked the Oakland A's. Tim Lincecum is God's gift to pitching and he plays in San Fran. Patrick Willis is a God amongst mere mortals and he plays in San Fran as well. Anyway, I have just within the past few years clung to the Raiders for some reason. Growing up, I never clung to the Packers, so I don't know. I absolutely watch every game of the Green and Gold, and it will be a sight when Brett comes back to Lambeau in purple eh? As for Oregon, well, I've been enjoying watching that offense since my younger days. Obviously, the jersey can grab a blind man's attention, but I like the older one's better i.e., the Kellen Clemens and Tim Day era. Then , when I went out to Eugene, it was like a dream come true man, walked on the field and errthang.

12. In your opinion, who would you rather have do well: Raiders or the Ducks
I'd probably rather have Oregon do well. I like USC just as much as the next guy but Jesus, wouldn't it be nice to see someone else win it in our lifetime? Of course, it would be nice to see the Raiders pull a 10-6 season out and really give those Chargeless fans something to cry about.

13. You live in Wausau and are making the big move down by me to go to Milwaukee, excited, worried? What are your thoughts on living in metropolitan city for the first time.
Yeh, makin' the big move is right. I've already lived on my own but that was only 20 minutes away, not 3 hours. It'll be fine though, I'll have Koz and Curly with me. Couldn't ask for a more chill group of guys. Naturally I'm excited. Can't wait for the big two one can ya? Me neither Chucky, me neither.

14. Finally tell us all about what you work on and send us the links so all the Chucks Corner's readers can follow you
Well, one of my works is more of a work of random things such as music that I'm into and random sports things http://lifeonstandby.tumblr.com/. The other is one that is totally devoted to all that is the Milwaukee Brewers, I've been doing nothing with that recently. I think that's just because we've struggled so bad of late. http://milwaukeesbest.tumblr.com/

Thanks Mitch.

-Charlie.

No comments: