The New Logo

The New Logo

Friday, May 22, 2009

Peavy Stays in San Diego

The White Sox were ready to make a big splash in May by dealing their top two pitching prospects and two other players for San Diego pitcher Jake Peavy. In my opinion, Chicago fans should be breathing a sigh of relief that Peavy isnt a White Sox.

First off, Jake Peavy has a desire to play in the National League and to me that shows signs of being scared of playing in the much tougher American League. The other thing that would drive home my point about Peavy is his ERA is a run higher when he is away from the ultimate pitcher-friendly ballpark of Petco Park. Peavy did win the 2007 Cy Young and has proved to be very good at times but he hasnt done anything in the postseason plus only two good years. I dont understand why everyone sees Peavy as a "Sabathia-like" savior of a baseball team. I find it hard to believe that he is the type player that can carry a team. The only reason why Peavy would help Sox is because they play in an inept AL Central which like I said before will only take about 85 wins to get it done.

Second, I never like a deal that sends their two top pitching prospects in a deal. In my opinion, thats like screwing your franchise over for the next five years. Just because the Sox would have had a guy like Peavy for years to come still is only one out of five pitchers going on the mound for you. The other worry there is will Peavy stay healthy? He has already had some elbow issues and if Peavy were to go down in addition to these two guys had prospered in San Diego. The fans of the White Sox would have revolted.

Does this open the door for the Chicago Cubs who desperately want Peavy? No, I think Peavy doesnt want to pitch in a media-heavy atmosphere. I hope the Brewers arent apart of the equation either because it sounds to me that the Padres would want Alcides Escobar and Mat Gamel if the deal would get done. Also he wants to say as close to California and I will put my money on Houston if the Astros were in the mix in July. Thats the only one in the NL not in the West that is remotely close to California.

-Charlie.

No comments: