The New Logo

The New Logo

Friday, May 15, 2009

Hockey? I Actually Like It.

I have never been a hockey fan. It never really interest me and for that reason, its probably my dad. Most of my sports allegiance and most of my overall foundations for the sports have been my father. Thats another reason why I didnt get into soccer until the 2006 World Cup.


Last night, there were two game 7's between the Detroit Red Wings beat the Anaheim Ducks 4-3 and the Carolina Hurricanes beat the Boston Bruins 3-2 in a heartbreaking overtime game. Now I am sorely disappointed because Doz and I watched the overtime game saying that no team should north of Nashville should have a team. Also I think Doz was upset Milwaukee doesnt have an NHL team which they probably should have. This was also touched on by Bill Simmons and Dave Damashek mentioned in the new BS Report on ESPN.com so we are not the only ones to think this same theory.


Although I will say this the Hurricanes deserved to win the game last night because they were the more conditioned team as they pounded the goal consistently in the overtime period and finally lit the lamp with under two minutes. It was shame because Tim Thomas probably had a great playoffs so far out of all the goalies but his defense truly let him down in the overtimes. I mean there was four or five "coulda been" goals that Thomas prevented from happening.

Carolina has knocked out two of the top four teams in the Eastern Conference already but I think their run ends here with Sidney Crosby and the rest of the Penguins. Cam Ward has had a great playoffs so far but I wonder if he will be up to the test against a tough Pens offense. The big question will be if Evgeni Malkin shows up every game because he is the true X factor.


The other thing that I love is the Detroit-Chicago Western Conference Series because these are the Original Six and its an awesome Midwest rivalry overall. You have the Red Wings who are the perennial power and who I consider the "New York Yankees" of the NHL. Then the Blackhawks are a lot like the Milwaukee Brewers who built up their franchise in the last five years and now they are in the Western Conference Finals which is pretty cool. For the first time in my lifetime, I will be cheering for a Chicago-based team and hope that they can push the Wings to get into the Stanley Cup.

-Charlie.

No comments: