The New Logo

The New Logo

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Welcome Back Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx

A couple days ago, ESPN's podcast regular Dave Dameshek said this via Twitter... "Is the Sports Illustrated cover jinx back? 1st LeBron's "Cleveland Rocks" cover, then Detroit's "Wings Close In on Cup". Uh-oh, Wings fans." I think we can all be afraid of the Cover Jinx now after the Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup last night in a 2-1 victory against the Detroit Red Wings on the road.

Now I have said the two times I have decided to write about hockey that I know nothing about the sport and dont watch it enough to have a full on hockey article. I still think in the realm of sports for a team to come back from being down 3-2 against the best team in their sport with only having one game at home is phenomial. Not to mention that the Penguins were completly blown out in Game 5 with a 5-0 defeat making seem even more unlikely that Pittsburgh would win Lord Stanley.

The other very cool aspect of the Penguins winning the Stanley Cup is Mario Lemieux bought this team when they were bankrupt in 1999 and rebulid this storied franchise to the top of the mountian with great players like Sidney Crosby, Marc-Andre Flury, and Evgeni Malkin. Lemieux is truly a class act and deserves to be recongized as one.

-Charlie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is retarded. you have no insightful comments and everything you write is pretty much rehashing other peoples work. dont quit your day job.

Unknown said...

I mentioned orginally in that post that I dont know much about hockey.

I felt it deserved an article of my own because hockey doesnt feel the love. I said in Game 2, Van Gundy was blowing it before alot of people and gave my insightful nuggets on many things.

Please keep reading and dont base it on a sport i rarely cover.