The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lets Try an NBA Mock Draft

Here is my feeble attempt at an NBA Mock Draft which I did for the NFL. I work Thursday night so I might DVR the draft and run somewhat of a live diary of what happens with all the bad suit choices not to forget the reaction of going to the Los Angeles Clippers, sorry Blake.

1. Los Angeles Clippers: Blake Griffen PF, Oklahoma- I hate how the draft in both the NFL/NBA has become so predictable with the first pick in the draft. Anyways I think Blake is an awesome player and will make an immediate impact for the Clippers. He needs to work on a mid-range shot but when that happens he will be even more of a force to reckon with.

2. Memphis Grizzlies: Hasheem Thabeet C, UConn- Some people have James Harden going here but I feel that if the Grizzles decide to stay here it will be all about Thabeet. Everyone is saying how much potential he has and will be great on defense right away. He does struggle outside of the post but I think if he puts on 15-20 lbs, he could be a nice player for Memphis although as Harry Doyle once said “I still think he’s a prick.”

3. Oklahoma City Thunder: Ricky Rubio PG, Spain- Now my friend Owen disagrees with me here thinking that Harden would be the perfect fit for the Thunder but I think Rubio would be awesome for OKC. That becomes the most exciting team in the NBA with Rubio-Durant-Westbrook-Green as a the building blocks for a great team. He would make Kevin Durant two times the better player by freeing up so many shots.

4. Sacramento Kings: Jonny Flynn PG Syracuse- I have no idea what the Kings are going to do at this spot but I will go with the polished player out the Cuse in Flynn. I love what he brings to the table night in and night out. I think he is floor general on the court and Flynn can make clutch shots when needed. The one thing he needs to work on is his three point shooting.

5. Minnesota Timberwolves: James Harden SG Arizona State- This is a guy my friend Owen loves but I myself am still undecided. I think he has great offensive tools where he can do it inside and out although he seems to lack some prowess on the defense end. He also has been know to make big shots when needed.

6. Minnesota Timberwolves: Tyreke Evans PG/SG Memphis- This spot could go to Stephen Curry as well because they are both tweener guards but the rumors have said that the T-Wolves love Evans. I dont think he is anything to write home about and has got caught up in legal drama before. I would much rather have Curry but I can see Minny taking Evans.

7. Golden State Warriors: Stephen Curry PG/SG Davidson- I think the Warriors would love to have Curry and that could be a reason why they are close to moving Jamal Crawford to the Hawks so they have room for whichever guard is around at seven. I think Curry will be an immediate impact player with his three point ability and will create havoc for many years to come.

8. New York Knicks: Jordan Hill PF Arizona- This is a guy I would love to see the Bucks get but at the same time, I think he will be long gone. He is a physical player that really took off during his junior year and I think will keep growing. The Knicks need more inside presence with the talks of David Lee being on the move and Eddy Curry isnt getting done if you are a good NBA team.

9. Toronto Raptors: Jrue Holiday PG/SG UCLA- This might be a selfish selection with the hope that the Bucks do not have the option of drafting this bust. He didnt even average 10 ppg in college last year and Holiday is getting drafted straight off potential. I can only hope the Raptors will not let John Hammond have the choice of drafting Holiday.

10. Milwaukee Bucks: DeMar DeRozen SG USC- Another guy that is straight potential but he did show signs of getting the college game down the stretch of the season. He has great size at 6'6 and could really contribute to the Bucks immediately being one of the first ones off the bench. His defense and three point shooting need some work although getting an energy guy leading to his development isnt bad at all.

11. New Jersey Nets: Terrance Williams SG Louisville- The Nets are in need of a guard with all of the size they have and the fact that Vince Carter is getting pretty old. I watched a ton of Williams this year and he is a strong player inside, tough defender but needs an outside game. He will hit the occasional three but never on a consistent basis. Brook Lopez and him become the oddest pair in sports by far as well.

12. Charlotte Bobcats: Gerald Henderson SG/SF Duke- 11/12 could be virtually flip-flopped but I think if Williams isnt on the board then Henderson becomes the next option. I think he is one of the smartest players on this draft board and will be a great energy guy. Although thats all he could be if he doesnt get an outside jumper.

13. Indiana Pacers: James Johnson SF Wake Forest- The Pacers dont really have one immediate need and I think with the size of Johnson they would like to have a guy that can play the wing plus stick him down in the post when needed.

14. Phoenix Suns: Earl Clark F Louisville- I think they could go with more physical big here but Clark would fit perfectly in the run and gun offense that the Suns like to run. I am not a huge fan of Clark due to his half-ass work ethic and is unwillingness on defense. He will be a great pro if he wants to be.

15. Detroit Pistons: B.J. Mullins C Ohio State- This seems to be the consensus pick here and I dont think that Mullins will be a good pro whatsoever. They will need to work with him over a couple years for Mullins to have a chance at being good. I think he was two years away from going pro and made the jump to early.


Alright well Part 1 is done and I do work two jobs tomorrow so if part two doesnt get finished I apologize but promise to review picks 16-30.

-Charlie.

No comments: