The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, June 4, 2009

NBA Finals Preview: Orlando Magic

And here we go... The NBA Finals tip-off tonight and I will give you guys my overall thoughts on both teams then leave you with a prediction. I havent decided whether I will do a wrap-up after every game or every other game although you will be updated about this series.

We start with the Orlando Magic who I thought is one of the best stories so far of 2009. They basically came out nowhere to get to the NBA Finals and have played the "Nobody Believes in Us" Card throughout the entire playoffs. There is still doubters that do not believe this Magic team can beat the Lakers for a variety of reasons. Here are three big keys in my opinion to win this series.

1. Must defend home court- In the NBA Finals, the system changes to 2-3-2 rather that 2-2-1-1-1 which the system in the first three series. If the Magic want to win this series, they need to win all three games in Orlando. That is a very tough task for any team but I feel that will be the one thing that could get Magic to be NBA Champions. I personally they can do because at home they seem unbeatable and if take away Big Baby's buzzer-beater they might have had a chance to beat Boston in five just like Cleveland.

2. Keep rainin' threes- As I said earlier, the Magic live and die by the three point shot. If they lose their hot shooting, it could be a very short series for Orlando. The Lakers shown to be susceptible in allowing the open three point shot in past series against Houston and Denver. Rashard Lewis needs to use things like pump fakes and straight takes to lane to separate Lamar Odom off of and allow shots to go in. I think big match up is how Mickael Pietrus handles Kobe Bryant defending him since Pietrus when shooting its usally a three.

3. Stan Van Gundy- I put SVG here because he has been a guy throughout the year that gets flustered and loses control of his team rather quick. That cannot happen once during the Finals because Phil Jackson will take advantage of that and the specific game will likely be a blow out. Game 1 is huge in so many ways due to the fact that if the Magic get blown out in game 1 I feel Van Gundy may self-destruct.

-Charlie.

No comments: