The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Glover Takes the Soggy Open

The US Open was played this year at the dangerous Bethpage Black and the only thing that was dangerous was the weather that haunted this tournament consistently throughout the weekend. But when the rain settled, the 71st player in the world Lucus Glover took the Open with calm, easy play and it didnt seem like Glover cracked under pressure at all throughout the tournament.

What I guess bore me about the Open was the fact that Glover really showed no emotion about winning right away. I think its really cool when guys celebrate like it really is their biggest win of their career. Glover is just the kind of golfer I guess that some really enjoy because he acts like he has been there before although I just love the emotion.

Another big storyline is the fact that Phil Mickelson is once again the bridesmaid of the US Open. He finished tied for second and its his fifth runner-up to the US Open, a tournament which he has never won. The crowd wanted him to win so bad and was trying their best to make sure he won this tournament with their "Lets Go Phil" chants and such. It wasnt enough, as Phil missed two key putts on the 15th and 17th leading to bogeys. I have never been a fan of Phil but I wouldn't have been disappointed if he had won for his wife Amy battling breast cancer. I think Phil needs to let the US Open come to him and not talk about how much he wants it. It almost seems like he loses it down the stretch thinking about how important this tournament is to him.


Maybe I should stop taking Tiger as my number one pick although its hard not to every time you are predicting who will win. If he putts well, he runs away with the US Open and we are talking about the first golfer since Curtis Strange to win back-to-back US Open. He was the only guy who had three rounds in the 60s but the one that wasnt in the 60s was a fat 74 in the first round that plague him the rest of the tournament.

Not to take anything away from Glover's win but does he win the US Open if the weather doesnt get delayed in the first round? I think that hurt so many players to start their round then get interrupted by heavy rains where they have to start on Friday morning. I highly doubt Glover takes home the crown if the weather is half-way decent.

-Charlie.

No comments: