The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Picks for Thursday

I decided that a wrap-up really wasnt necessary because I watched one full game (USC-Michigan State) throughout the four day span from being excommunicated from college basketball. I will say this my bracket fell vitcim to the sexy upset (VCU), faith in Illinois (so sorry Big Red), way too much faith in Jon Brockman and Wisconsin/Cleveland State destroying brackets one by one. So I just decided to give you the Thursday Night Picks.

EAST:
(1) Pittsburgh vs. (4) Xavier- This game to me is the least exciting game of the next two days. According to the experts, the Panthers were not very impressive in their first two games. I still like Pitt's chances to get to the Final Four but the Musketeers have to know if they can get DeJuan Blair in foul trouble, they could pull off the upset. Jason Love for Xavier is their only real big man threat but he isnt known to go off for anything special. Also if the Musketeers hit their threes, they could prove to be lethal. When it all boils down to it, Sam Young really cannot be stopped and Xavier doesnt have enough for Blair. PITT 78-71

(2) Duke vs. (3) Villanova- One of my favorite games for the Sweet 16 games because both teams match up so well with each other due to they both have no inside game. The matchup between Kyle Singler and Dante Cunningham. I am convinced whoever wins this battle, will win the game in general. Although Nova is one of those teams that if they cool off, the Wildcats are in big time trouble and that tends to happened to them. I dont see Scottie Reynolds being a factor with the defense of Elliot Williams. Another huge aspect could be which three-point assassin (Corey Fisher, Jon Scheyer) is on target. I will take the Cats to keep the Big East going but it will be very close. NOVA 83-81

WEST
(1) UCONN vs. (5) Purdue- Well there is more to come about UConn in the next article which will probably be tomorrow so they now have a heap of distractions to deal with it. Doz is trying to convinced me that the Boilermarkers can keep up with any team in the nation and I can see it with JaJuan Johnson and Robbie Hummel seems to be fine with his back problems. People are riding the Huskies harder than most secretaries on their CEOs right now because the world got introduced to Stanley Robinson, the screaming extraordinaire. He is a game breaker and if A.J. Price is on fire, it could be a long night for Purdue. I think this will be one of those games where it will be close until the Huskies pull away late. UCONN 84-72

(2) Memphis vs. (3) Missouri- The Tiger battle in Arizona. The Memphis side has looked very good so far by the improved play of Tyreke Evans and the consistency of Antonio Anderson/Shawn Taggert. They are my West Final Four team and I am a bit concerned about this game. The Missouri side has such a strong defense unit which their full court press. In addition, J.T. Tiller has been a man so far in this tournament. I dont think Memphis has seen a defense like this in a long time but in general, this will be up/down game which the scores coming close to the hundreds. Evans hits a shot late for the win. MEMP 97-95

-Charlie.

No comments: