The New Logo

The New Logo

Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Sleepers

My Sleepers- To be honest with you, I think I have learned my lesson from last year. Last year all of the #1 seeds made the final four, and there is a good possibility that it might happen again. I am usually the one idiot in the bracket pool that likes to pick all these amazing upsets, but maybe 1 out 8 actually happen. The two notable sleeper teams that I have on my bracket are Tennessee and Mississippi State.

I think that the raw athleticism of Mississippi State could very well shoot them into a sweet sixteen matchup against UCONN. Miss. St. could very well beat Washington behind the big Jarvis Varnado, who is a beast on the block. Miss St. also has 5 players shooting at least 35% from three point, so that makes them incredibly dangerous. After beating Washington, I think they will be able to run on Purdue, and wear them down on the boards.

Tennessee is my second sleeper. I know what you might be thinking, this isnt the Tennessee that it used to be, but I think this young deep team has the potential to make a run to the sweet sixteen. The notable upset that I think is possible is Pittsburgh. Tennessee's defense has been struggling a little bit this season, but when they are defensively sound and are making the majority of their free throws, they are as a good as any team in the country. I think that Chism would and will be able to shut down Blair, as well as any of the long players on Tennessee. When Blair gets taken out of the game, it puts a lot of pressure on Sam Young and that Garden Gnome we call Levance Feilds, and they have proven that it is too much pressure for them to handle.

Other than those two upsets, there is the occasional 9 seed beating an 8, and maybe a 5 seed beating a 4 in the second round, but other than that basically all top 4 seeds in every section of the bracket are just about in the sweet sixteen with the exception of Tenessee, Miss. St., West Virginia, and UCLA.

No comments: