The New Logo

The New Logo

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Championship Week Preview

So its Championship Week, one of my favorite weeks of the year and I will give you will "Probably win" "Could win" "Sleeper" A sleeper consists of some team who is lower than a four seed.

ACC:
Probably win- North Carolina Tar Heels- They will be your new number one on Monday and its fitting seeing as they were the favorites going into the season now are playing the best basketball in the country. They better be careful of Miami or Virigina Tech in the second round.

Could win- Duke Blue Devils- I like the Dukies better than Wake Forest at this point of the season and I thought they could have won the game today against the Tar Heels. Kyle Singler needs to be consistent if they want a chance.

Sleeper- Clemson Tigers- Travis Booker is a monster who can dominate any big man in the ACC and their defense is sweltering with the full court press. They will get past Florida State but getting by North Carolina will be another story.

Big 12:
Probably win: Oklahoma Sooners- They are the best team in the Big 12 and the only reason they arent the one seed is because Blake Griffin got hurt for a couple games. I hope they meet Kansas in the final game.

Could win: Kansas Jayhawks- I cannot believe Bill Self took Kansas to a Big 12 title again. I love Sheron Collins and what he does for the Jayhawks. Cole Aldrich starting to look like the second coming of Nic Collison right now.


Sleeper: Texas Longhorns- I like Texas chances because they have one of the best players in the nation in A.J. Abrams and any team that can shoot threes like the Longhorns is always a threat. Look out for Texas A&M too.

Big East
Probably win: Pitt Panthers- They have owned the Big East tourney in the past eight years and should win this year. I like the make-up of their team and not many teams can keep up with Sam Young.

Could win: Connecticut Huskies- I like them better than Louisville because the Huskies make their free throws. Also you cannot discount Hasheem Thabeet and I believe they will be hungry if they met Pitt again on Friday.

Sleeper-Syracuse Orange- The inside-out play of the Orange is fantastic and Jim Boeheim always has his guys ready for the tournament. None of us should forget Gerry McNamara performance in 2006. Awful music choice though.

Big Ten
Probably win: Michigan State- Some feel that if the Spartans can win the Big 10 tourney, they might sneak into a one seed in the NCAA Tournament. I think they are the best Big Ten team and they are healthy for the first time.

Could win: Illnois Fighting Illini- I take the Illini over the Boilermakers because they are healthy as well plus they play great defense for Bruce Weber.

Sleeper: Michigan Wolverines- Lets all remember that Michigan took out Duke and UCLA earlier this year. I believe Manny Harris is the best player in the Big Ten and really hope he is around another year. Also their 1-3-1 can prove to be very tough.


Pac-10
Probably win: UCLA Bruins- I am not convinced that the Washington Huskies are for real and I think Ben Howland is one of the best coaches in America when it comes to tournament time. I would like to see Jrue Holiday break out.

Could win: Washington Huskies- They are the second best Pac-10 team for sure and Jon Brockman is a great big man out west that doesnt get enough credit. He deserves to be in the conversation when mentions of Harangoody, Hansbrough, Griffin.

Sleeper-Arizona Wildcats- Dont doubt the Cats, they have a great combination of Jordan Hill and Chase Bundiger. I think they deserve a spot in the tourney if they start shocking a few teams.

SEC:
Probably win: LSU Tigers- This really is the "ugly girl at the dance" BCS tournament. No one really cares about this but I will say the Tigers poise the biggest threat.

Could win: Tennessee Volunteers- I would never doubt a Bruce Pearl team. His press is one of the toughest I have ever seen plus they can run better than most teams not named Marquette.

Sleeper-Alabama Crimson Tide- I think the Tide after that buzzer-beater against the Vols on the road is the right kind of momentum you want going into the tournament.

-Charlie.

No comments: