The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, February 9, 2009

This Week in College Basketball

According to ESPN, this is "Rivalry Week" So lets get it started...

Monday:
West Virgina at 4. Pittsburgh- The Backyard Brawl always a bitter rivalry and much hate goes into this one. The Mountaineers are 5-5 in Big East play and need a big performance out of Da'Shan Butler to win this game tonight. The Panthers have been very consistent all year and they need to continue that if they want to be succesful. I see really no one who can hold DeJuan Blair on West Virgina, I think Pitt takes this one easily. PITT 76-66

16. Kansas at 19. Missouri- The Border War and my family visited the University of Missouri with my sister and my mom told me how much these schools hate each other dating all the way back to the Civil War. Bitter much? Anyways both teams are coming in red-hot, Kansas looks as if they are gelling and Mike Anderson is proving to be a great coach with this Tiger team. I think they will beat them speed. MIZZOU 81-77

Tuesday:
9. Michigan State at Michigan- The Spartans had a good week and maintained at the number nine spot in the Top 25 and now look to beat their bitter rivals. Michigan looked very good against UConn in a defeat which was expected. The Wolverines need this one bad but the Spartans are very good on the road, it will be close. MSU 65-60

12. Marquette at 13. Villanova- Talk about a big game. This game would have been amplified if Marquette hadnt laid a complete egg against South Florida but now the Golden Eagles are on the ropes facing a red-hot Villanova team. I think Marquette-Villanova matchup really well and they balance each other out. I will take Marquette in a high scoring affair. MARQ 89-86

11. Clemson at Boston College- The Tigers really let me down this weekend by losing to Florida State at home on Saturday. I believe they had made a statement that they were a legit top 15 team and granted the Noles are now in the Top 25, still Clemson shouldnt have lost that game. Boston College will win this game because I am convinced the Tigers arent that great on the road. BC 78-73

Wednesday:
22. Syracuse at 1. Connecticut- Arguably the biggest Big East rivalry and these are two teams headed in two very different directions. The Cuse at one point of the season I believed to be the best team in the Big East but now they cannot play defense to save their soul right now. They are in more trouble than Chris Brown headed into this one. I think this one will be ugly. UCONN 98-84

3. North Carolina at 5. Duke- I will probably give you guys a wrap-up on this game and this game will be a battle as always being the best rivalry in all of sports. I think the Tar Heels are starting to figure out this team without some of their players and the performances of Wayne Ellington/Ty Lawson have improved their chances greatly. Duke barely survives the U and they will need another big effort out of Greg Paulus and Jon Scheyer to win the game. North Carolina wins this one in Cameron. UNC 71-68

Thursday:
6. UCLA at 18. Arizona State- Another team whose slowly building a great resume for the tournament and my buddy Dan said on Saturday, "Every year they are a one seed, and I have no idea how they do it every year." Pretty much sums it up right there. The Sun Devils played the Bruins so tough and came out victorious in Pauly. I think UCLA figures out James Harden out this game. UCLA 54-51

Enjoy the week.

-Charlie.

No comments: