The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, November 13, 2008

MLB Hot Stove Heatin' Up

As free agency has begun (only 10 minutes ago) and I am sure I will have a couple articles tomorrow on things that have went down if they are important enough or about the Brewers (CC? God I hope so.) Anyways a couple deals went down today....

Nick Swisher of the White Sox was traded to the Yankees for Wilson Betemit and a couple minor league pitchers. In my opinion, this was a pretty good trade for the Yanks as they got a guy they can put in the infield and outfield and despite his poor numbers last year, I think he can still be a good six or seven hitter in the Yanks lineup depending on whose on the team next year. In addition, this probably meant the Mike Cameron deals that were trying to happened fell through or the Crew asked for too much. This is a much better deal for the Yankees because they didnt give away Melky Cabrera or Ian Kennedy (two guys the Crew wanted) and I really dont know what the Sox were thinking in this one.

The other deal involved the other team in the Windy City as the Cubs trade for Kevin Gregg of the Marlins for a young minor leaguer. They also said doing this will mean that Kerry Wood will not be brought back in an attempt to sign Ryan Dempster. To me this is a head-scratcher because I feel that Wood is more valuable to the team than Dempster because first off, Dempster had one good year in his contract year nonetheless and closers are usually so hit/miss when they are brought in. Granted I think Carlos Marmol will be better than last year which is scary but I would not put all my chips on Dempster.

Happy Free Agency

-Charlie.

No comments: