The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, November 3, 2008

Fat Phil Out at Tennessee

Once again, after Lloyd Carr is gone and others have left, Phil Fulmer is out of a job after 15 seasons at the helm in Tennessee and me personally could not be not be happier.

I personally think Tennessee is one of the most overrated programs in all of college football. They have been nothing after Peyton Manning and Tee Martin left the Vols program. Yes, they had winning seasons but they have not been in a BCS bowl since 2000. They are not apart of the top-tier of the SEC which belongs to Georgia, LSU, and Florida which are all teams who every year contend for not only the SEC title but the BCS title. I also think Fulmer got comfertable with his BCS title and just based everything he did off of that.

The reason I do not like Fulmer is because I think he is an arrogent, smug prick alot like Coach Carr who I mentioned before. When I look at coaches all over America, I think whether I would like to play for them if I had a chance? For Fulmer and Carr, no chance in hell would I want to play for him or Carr because of the attitudes they carry around. I think Fulmer will probably attempt to coach at a BCS school that has been struggling latley I am guessing.

As for Tennessee, I could see maybe the coach of App. State, any of the coaches of BYU, Ball State, Utah, or TCU as they all have good success this year. And I wonder whether, Tommy Tuberville will the next one out as his Auburn has been downright awful.

-Charlie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled across this, but am a little surprised by your attitude towards Fulmer. Yeah, he did need to be gone, but he was a great guy. Most people, with the exception of irate Bama fans, who have come across him in their lifetimes have said nothing but positive things about him.

Arrogant? He was stubborn, but there's a reason that even in his decline, he was still considered a great recruiter, and that's the fact that parents were comfortable with him. Rarely will you find a former player who will say negative things about him personally.

And what do you think about Notre Dame? I mean, TN is one of the 10 winningest programs all time in college football, have more than one national championship, and have played in more bowl games than anyone besides Bama Michigan, and maybe Notre Dame.

Fulmer also leaves with the third highest all-time winning percentage among college football coaches, behind only Bowden and Paterno.

Let's look at Fulmer's resume:

1992: 4-0
1993: 10-2
1994: 8-4
1995: 11-1
1996: 10-2
1997: 11-2
1998: 13-0
1999: 9-3
2000: 8-4
2001: 11-2
2002: 8-5
2003: 10-3
2004: 10-3
2005: 5-6
2006: 9-4
2007: 10-4
2008: 5-7


Even during his post Tee Martin/Peyton Manning/Peerless Price years, Fulmer still won at least ten games 4 times, and took his team to the SEC championship game 4 times.

2 losing seasons in 17 years was all it took to can the guy. How many other coaches have had that type of success over that amount of time?

It was time for Fulmer to go, but your comments about him as a person are completely unwarranted.

Unknown said...

Well first off I hope you read more of my articles and dont base my opinions off one article.

You are right, no former players have any poor words to say about him nor do most people who like Tennessee. In my opinion, I always look at coaches as "Would I play for them or want my kid to play for them." With Fulmer, my answer is no, he comes off as a guy who doesnt care much about anyone but himself.

You sing his praises yet you want him out still? Let me remind you, he hasnt been in a BCS Bowl in 8 years and same for top programs like Notre Dame, Bama, Miami- changes need to be made. His records are great but not good enough for the always competitive SEC.

When is the last time they beat Florida? They are no longer the power of the SEC East.

Keep Reading... Charlie.