The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Holiday in the Bay

God that was a creative title.

If you hadnt heard yet, Matt Holiday was traded to the Athletics for Carlos Gonzalez, Greg Smith, Huston Street. Which in my opinion is a good deal for both teams despite the feeling of betrayal by Rockies fans. As they felt this team was on the way up with their "Generation R" with Holiday, Tulowitzki, Atkins, and others who led their team to the World Series last season.

Its obvious that the Rockies felt they couldn't resign Holiday next season so they got a good offer for him from the A's and they ran with it which I cannot blame them. They were able to get a pretty good closer in Street to replace Brian Fuetues which in my opinion is a big upgrade. Also Gonzalez has some major promise in the outfield and I think he will be a key player for the Rockies all year.

As for the A's, there is no reason to believe that they will be resigning Holiday at the end of the year or for that matter so the supposed "genius" Billy Beane will wheel/deal Holiday for big time prospects at the deadline to give a team the extra push. I would be shocked if a rebuilding team decided to give the big bucks to Holiday. Just please stay away from the Cardinals, I almost fell out of my chair when they said the Rockies were "very close" to trading Holiday for Ryan Ludwick and their top prospect. I dont even want to think about how to pitch Albert Pujols/Matt Holiday back-to-back.

-Charlie.

No comments: