The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, November 30, 2009

Rank em' in December Instead of November

Remember when I told you that rankings shouldn't matter in College Football in September?  Well I am telling you the exact same in College Basketball as this week proved a lot of things to me personally. If I do not put a team into the mix then that means that I feel its a pretty fair ranking.

If we start in the top five, Michigan State and Kentucky haven't lived up to their rankings.  Despite Michigan State getting a good win against Gonzaga, they shouldn't have lost to an unranked Florida team.  I will develop a better understanding of the team when they play North Carolina on Tuesday. Same goes for Kentucky who play the Heels on Saturday.  They nearly lost to Stanford and Miami-OH, I wouldn't call this team a top-five contender yet but I think with their uber-talented freshman class they will be a top five team. Those two I would replace with Duke and Purdue personally although West Virginia deserves some love too. 

Butler goes 1-2 this weekend same with Minnesota.  Both should exit the top 25 this week and I thought giving a Horizon League team a top 10 billing is completely ridiculous to think about it.  The Gophers have a ton of potential but who knows if they will live up to that. In addition, UConn looked average at best against Duke this weekend.    Louisville also dropped a game to UNLV on the road for the second straight year. 

This is why if the rankings were released today people would have a better understanding of the contenders and the teams that have promise although might not be there yet.  In my opinion, Duke is the best team in the nation so far, they played the hardest schedule so far and have won convincingly in all of their games. Wisconsin will be a big test for the Dukies at the Kohl Center in the Buzzcut Bowl on Wednesday.

-Charlie.

No comments: