The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, November 30, 2009

A Disappointing End to a Fantastic Weekend

Our first depressed Marquette Golden Eagle post!  Yes, these didn't come around until mid-January last season but in all honesty, this is more positive then negative.  When the Golden Eagles lost Chris O'Tule for the year, I sighed and told Mach this could be a very long year.  Mach requested a fast-forward to 2010, which I think is impossible unless you are Adam Sandler in Click.  Anyways, the start to the year got off to a better start than I believe any Marquette fan thought it actually would.  

Thursday afternoon against Xavier, Marquette got outrebounded letting Reggie Love have a career day with 21 points and 19 rebounds.  Love is a going to be a superstar in the mid-major circuit, big time potential to have a big year this year.  The Golden Eagles got a great game from Lazar Hayward who appears to embrace the senior leadership post.  Jimmy Butler looked awesome showing why Mach and I loved him last year, just a hustler gets after it no matter what.   Darius Johnson-Odom impressed me all weekend and started on Thursday.

I thought they could get past Xavier but I worried about Manny Harris/DeShawn Sims of #15 Michigan. Tough, athletic team with a 1-3-1 zone that can frustrate even Teen Wolf.   DJO tore that zone apart finding holes consistently during the game.  Include another inspired performances by Hayward and Butler, you get a 14 point Marquette victory.  Their defense all weekend was top-notch, ignore the rebounds they gave up at times but they created so many turnovers.

Florida State is a game I blame myself for losing. Went to the gym at around 650 completely forgetting Marquette playing and then before I hit the treadmill I remember they were on.  Mad at myself and questioning my fanhood, I turn on the game to see a 30-18 game at half.  I endured watching the second half and the pain that came with it... I blame myself really.  In my opinion, I didn't see enough of Dwight Bucyks and felt Buzz got Mike McCarthy-conservative way too early in the game.  MU pumped the breaks after a 17-point lead if they kept being agressive I feel they run away with the game by 10 points or so.  Also Butler 4/12 from the line hurt worse than anything else on Sunday.

Looking back on it, a 2-1 weekend is as good as Marquette fans can ask for.  Most people probably thought MU goes 1-2, or even a disastrous 0-3.  The expectations for this team are low but I think this team will overcome this hiccup against FSU... at least I hope.

-Charlie.

No comments: