The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Will the Yankees Choke?

I honestly think this is the jinx probably and the Yankees will steamroll against Pedro Martinez tonight. But for the fun of it, let’s just talk about the World Series, since I haven't talked at all about it. I think it's been a good playoffs so far, and I think this has been the most intriguing World Series in about five years. Which hopefully will bring baseball back somewhat, but how epic would it be if the Yankees choke?

I wrote earlier this summer how I like the fact when the big time sports teams are on top because you had someone to root against in every postseason. The Yankees have that swagger, we all know and hate with the arrogance of A-Rod (although what he has done this postseason is one of the best that I have seen in my first time), Derek Jeter, and Mark Teixerira. I loved to see the Yankees fall apart because I remember seeing Mariano Rivera blow Game 7 against Arizona in 2002, which probably was the special moment of my baseball watching.

The one thing I think you have to worry about is Brad Lidge. He could blow it against a la Mitch Williams in 1993. Lidge is a complete problem for the Phillies and I said earlier this summer, that "if Charlie Manuel was the Brewers coach, Derrick Turnbow would still be our closer." The Phillies have to hope that if they want to win this series, they need to have at least a four run lead going into the ninth.

I think tonight will be an absolute shoot-out. It will be around 10-9 final because I think both of these pitchers will struggle tonight. The point I made about Brett Favre about being old is the exact same thing with both of these guys. Three days rest is so hard to come by when you are an old pitchers. If any older pitcher were to do it, Andy Pettitte would be the one to do it. The man is clutch, more than Johnny Moxson on a fourth quarter drive.

The only reason why I would hate to see the Yankee lose? If CC Sabathia ended up blowing Game 7, I would be crushed for him. He is a class act and despite leaving the Milwaukee Brewers, he still a stand-up guy. I think his career is never the same if CC loses Game 7.

-Charlie.

No comments: