The New Logo

The New Logo

Sunday, August 9, 2009

An Interview With My Buddy E

1. First off we probably have to discuss the bet we have going right now. At this point, you have to feel pretty good about the Brewers not winning more than 80 games bet you made with me at the beginning of the season. What needs to change for the Brewers to be better?

Well first off, thanks for havin me! And I’d like to start my first entry on The Corner with a big fat I TOLD YOU SO. As much as I would love to see the Crew make a run and find a way into the playoffs I don’t see it happening. I think the thing were missing is a true ace on the staff. Yovani has ace type material but has yet to show consistency and hasn’t really embraced the role of being the number one guy. Personally I’d like to see them bring up some young top pitching prospects and see what happens. I mean they can’t be much worse than the likes of Chris Smith and some of the other hacks we have trotted out this year.

2. What did you think about Prince Fielder's reaction to Guillerimo Mota hitting him on Tuesday night?

The only issue I have with the situation is why did Ken still have Prince in the game? We were down 13 runs and once Manny got plunked everyone knew it was coming. The whole thing could have been avoided if Prince would have just been sat down. As far as Prince’s reaction goes, it probably wasn’t the most mature response but I thought it was pretty entertaining, so I guess I can’t complain.

3. I have asked this question a couple times but what do you think about the PED list?

I really am waiting for a lawsuit. I hate the fact that these “confidential” test results got leaked by the MLB. Yes, these guys took PEDs but they were not in violation of the MLB drug testing policy at the time, and it is ridiculous that they are now getting in trouble for it.

4. Continuing on with the PED stuff, do you think all of this Big Papi stuff is killing the Red Sox 2009 season?

I think the fact that Big Papi is still in the line-up (steroids or no steroids) is killing the Red Sox season. That and the fact that the Yankees are more loaded than a frat boy on a Friday night.

5. Who do you think will win the National League Wild Card?

I know everyone is looking to the Giants to come out of the NL as the Wild Card, but I just don’t think they can score enough runs to make it down the stretch. One dimensional teams can only last for so long. That being said, I’m going to say that the Wild Card comes out of the central, with either Chicago or St. Louis winning the division and the other claiming the WC.

6. The other usual question here on the interview, who do you think is the World Series Matchup?

I’m looking for the Yankees to finally return to the Fall Classic, it has been a long drought by NY standards and I think this is the year A-Rod gets the playoff monkey off his back. Plus that rotation is just plain nasty. As far as the NL goes, I think the Phillies will make repeat and take the pennant again this year. With the additions of Cliff Lee, Pedro Martinez, and the development of J.A. Happ they have all the tools to make a run. I think the Yanks claim their first title of the 00’s (or the naughts for all of you Sports Guy readers) and I’m surprisingly ok with that. I think the Red Sox’s recent success and their all around attitude has contributed to their new role as the most hated team in the MLB and I find myself cheering for the guys in the pinstripes when they meet.

7. Lets move on to the NFL, how do you see the Green Bay Packers doing this year?

I can see them doing really well, but I have a few concerns.
a.) I think the obvious concern is how the D takes to Don Caper’s new 3-4 system. Everyone is worried about that, but in my mind an even bigger issue is how the 3-4 system will fare in a power running league like the NFC North. Will we be able to stop power rushers like Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte with just three down lineman?

b.) I really hope Aaron Rodgers stays away from the proverbial sophomore slump. He really came out of nowhere last year to be by many estimations a top QB in the league, but no one is taking him for granted this year. He needs to step up and continue to grow as a leader and more importantly a quarterback.

c.) And most importantly, can Mike McCarthy keep it together during big games. I firmly believe he was the sole reason we didn’t make it to the Super Bowl two years ago and is probably to blame for all of the Brett Favre drama (if we make it to that game Brett goes back to Mississippi on a high note and is content to stay retired). I hate how his play calling changes in big game situations, we need to stick to our game plan in all situations. As the say at the blackjack table, “Don’t play the money, play the cards”

I think if they play to their potential and avoid the injury bug that bit them last year they can get to 10 wins.

8. What concerns you more... the fact Clay Matthews didnt know what state Green Bay was in or B.J. Raji still not in training camp?

I’m not really sure Clay Matthews knows where Green Bay is yet…but if he crushes skulls like he did at USC I really don’t care. I think B.J. really needs to get in camp. He will be a huge factor as to whether or not we can stop those power rushing attacks. Unless, he learns the system now and plays preseason, it’s a lost year for him.

9. What are your own thoughts on the Michael Crabtree situation?

Just another example of why the NFL needs to adopt a rookie minimum salary. I hate these guys coming into the league thinking they deserve this and that. I will always hate Eli Manning (who by the way maybe deserves about ¼ of the money he got from the Giants) for refusing to play for the Chargers. Come play in the league and prove yourself before you start making demands.

10. One sleeper team in the NFL who could explode on to the scene this year?

I like the Bengals to make some noise this year. A refreshed and refocused Carson Palmer will put up big numbers. In addition, they added some depth with Lavernious Coles which should help out Chad Ocho Cinco They might have had one of the best drafts in recent years. Rey Malaluga was an absolute steal.

11. I feel honored that I have join your fantasy football league but do you really know what you are getting into with me now in the league to dominate?

I’m not sure this question even warrants a response. You know I’m gonna repeat as league champ.

12. Tell everyone why you love Tim Tebow as much as I do and also is Florida going to repeat?

Well there are many reasons why I love Tim Tebow. First of all he is just an awesome competitor. There is nothing like watching a person who exudes such passion and desire to win. I would much rather watch an average player who will go all out all game to win than the most talented player in the country who is going to take plays off. And the best thing about Tebow is that he’s the hustle and the effort guy trapped in the superstar’s body. Unlike many people I can see Tim succeeding in the NFL, all he needs is someone to give him a chance. I can see him becoming a Donovan McNaab type player. That’s the skill set that he has.

13. On to other things, John Hughes past away and I think we can all agree that he had some of the best young-teen movies in the 80s. What was your favorite Hughes movie?

John Hughes was an absolute genius when it came to making movies. He succeeded as a director, a producer, and a writer and played a huge part in the evolution of the big screen. As a director I think I have to go with Breakfast Club. It might be the only movie I’ve ever seen that successfully holds my attention without a single change in scenery. I mean the man directed one of the best movies ever and did almost all inside of a library with six characters.

But, I think that most of generation would agree that Hughes’ greatest gift to us movie lovers was the writing of the Home Alone series. Those movies appealed to such a wide base of people and were just so versatile. I mean what movie can you successfully quote in more situations? I say not many, Mr. Michael Fant managed to make it work in a strip club last night by telling the dancer to “Keep the change, ya filthy animal.” If that’s not just pure genius I’m not sure what is.

14. In your mind, what movie do you think is the most overrated movie in the last five years?

I might be jumped the next time I leave my house for saying this but I have to go with Superbad. Yea, it had me laughing at times but I really felt it got too long and it just reverted to the same humor over and over. A socially retarded kid being extremely awkward around the opposite sex is only funny for so long. Despite this, the movie was more popular than Barack Obama during black history month. Who incidentally may be the most overrated president since FDR. I mean common, has he told the truth one time yet? (wait is it still legal to disagree with the government? Or have we already converted to communism…. I might be in trouble.)

15. I asked Mike this last week but what was your favorite movie of 2009 so far?

Tough question, I thought The Hangover was amazing. Great story, great casting, great everything. The fact that I managed to get through the entire movie without thinking about killing Bradley Cooper (for those of you who don’t know, he played Zach in Wedding Crashers which is a top 3 movie of all time for me, and I’ve never really been able to see him as anything besides the arrogant ass hole he played Crashers) says a lot about the quality of that movie. Plus, who doesn’t relate to that, how fun is it when you wake up and have to piece together your night through conversations with everyone you saw along the way?

18. Last time I saw you, you were rocking a Mr. Feeny t-shirt so it leads me to this question, who would you like to have a beer with from Boy Meets World?

This question took a lot of thought. I could go with Cory, and I am obviously talking about grade school Cory because lets face it he got really weird after about the 9th grade, but he was the main character and thus I feel like I already know him so well. The bad asses out there might choose Shawn or Mr. Turner, but realistically I don’t think I would have much to discuss with them. For these reasons, I’m choosing Topanga, but I’m going with high school Topanga. Because she was a crazy little bitch in elementary school and once they got to college she and Cory both continually got weirder and weirder. But she was great in high school, she had it all! A great looking girl who is super intelligent. What more could I want?

19. Last two years you were too hung over to watch the Super Bowl and we have had great games both times. Is our goal to get you to that level again this year to guarantee another great game?

First of all, I watched most of the games, I’ll admit that I did have to sleep through some parts, but I think my status as an American citizen is still intact (although Brett might say different, but then again he’d rather watch the NBA than the NCAA Tournament and he’s the only person on the planet that hates seeing an upset, so does it really matter what he thinks?). Either way, if me getting it in the night before the Super Bowl and having a near death experience during the game can help provide a great game and entertainment for millions, I’m all for it.

20. When you are fighting with our friend Brett about God knows what, do you usually win? Also what is your favorite Eric-Brett argument?

Once again, do I really need to answer that? Seriously though, I feel that most of our fights really end with no clear winner and loser, the fight is really more just about yelling at the other person until we both realize we might be the two most stubborn people on the planet and we separate for awhile. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. As far as my favorite fight goes, I’m not sure I have one, but if I had to choose it would probably be the argument over the show 24. Purely because it was and is one of the most ridiculous things anyone has ever argued about.

21. And now Eric's rant on the WIAA

Well, thanks again for having me, it was a lot of fun. Hopefully we can do it again soon. But before I go I want to get in one more topic. What the fuck is the WIAA doing to its football season. Dismantling the Wisconsin Valley Conference is one the worst decisions ever made. Easily the best division one conference top to bottom, the Valley had a great run and I’m sad to see it go. I know it hasn’t been as good these last few years and Homestead will probably beat Everest this year, but that doesn’t change the fact that the WIAA just dismantled some of the best tradition Wisconsin high school football has ever seen.

Thanks Eric.

-Charlie.

No comments: