The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Jets Are Screwed for 2009

I understand that I am behind on things here at Chucks Corner but I have been ultra busy plus I am starting to get sick so the motivation is not always there. Like I said yesterday I hope to be caught up tomorrow.

Now I think the most interesting thing about the draft was the Matt Sanchez deal. Some people absolutely love the move seeing it as a Joe Flacco-like move for the Jets who are really just a quarterback shy of being a playoff team. Others like my buddy Steve, an avid Jets fan sent me a text saying "Ruined my day." I think I am going to join Steve on this one despite my USC-bias and the fact that I like Sanchez.

First of all, they gave up their first rounder for next year so if they have an awful year (you never know in the NFL) the Browns will be sitting pretty for next year. The other thing that concerns me is Sanchez has only played 16 games of college football and in that time hasnt won a National Championship. If the Jets play this right way, they let Sanchez sit on the bench the whole year to get him experienced in the NFL game.

See this will not happen because the Jets saw what the Falcons did with Matt Ryan who by the way was a senior and I believe a three-year starter for the Eagles or Flacco with the Ravens where he had the best defense in the NFL. The Jets have a good defense, an veteran offensive line, and a pretty solid running game amplified with the Jets picking up Shonn Greene.

If the Jets are a "run-first" mentality team and Sanchez only has to make the key passes like Flacco did, they might be a playoff team. You have to remember the AFC East is a very tough division and Sanchez also hasnt adapted to playing cold weather. He has no idea what a December game in the Medowlands feels like or worse up in Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Needless to say, it might be a long year for the Jets.

-Charlie.

No comments: