The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Golf in the Olympics? Yes Please.

I know what probably 7 out of my 20 readers are probably are saying... "Why are you talking so much about golf lately?" Well it just keeps popping up and I feel these are necessary articles.

Tiger Woods, Padraig Harrington, Sergio Garcia, and Vijay Singh all top twenty golfers in the world have made their pitch to add the game of golf to the Olympics. In my opinion, that would be a fantastic idea and you could expand it to having a team tournament in week one of the Olympics at one golf course and an individual tournament in week 2.

Here's how I see it... For team play, they can either be foursomes or twosomes of the best golfers in that country fighting it out and maybe they wont be the best players because obviously you have to first qualify to represent your country like most Olympic sports. Think about this... USA-Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.. all goes well that happens. Spain- Serigo Gracia and Miguel Angel Jimenez, Sweden- Henrik Stentson and Robert Karlsson, England- Paul Casey and Justin Rose.

Then the next week at the Olympics, it would be an indiviual tournament that has qualifying where the thirty-two players make it and sixteen are cut on Friday therefore its a sixteen team tournament to decide who wins the gold medal. I mean it would be great to see a USA sweep but I highly doubt that would happened. In addition, I hate Singh but how great would it be to see Fiji win some sort of medal in the Olympics.

I honestly think there is a lot of promise and I hope the IOC follows through on this.

-Charlie.

No comments: