The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

An Ode to the 2010 NCAA Tournament

I know we are a couple days late, but give me a break I had much more to do for school. I believe this 2010 NCAA Tournament was the best tourney that I have seen in my 21 years.  I enjoyed it so much and thought about how saddened I am that there is no basketball this weekend.

The tournament had everything that you want when you go into March Madness... People always love upsets, which we had plenty of them.  The runs that Northern Iowa, St. Mary's, and Cornell made into the Sweet 16 were the reason why we all collectively jump on the bandwagon in hopes that maybe this team can make a George Mason-type run.  The fact is we got that team in Butler. 

Now, some will argue because they were in the top ten during the season therefore they shouldn't be considered part of that fraternity.  I would agrue the fact they play in the Horizon League seeing the level of competition they play for two months is pretty weak and doesn't prepare them in the way for March like the six power conferences receive.  Gonzaga is basically the same type of team like Butler who always seems to get in the tournament but can never make it to the Final Four.  What the Bulldogs knocking off Syracuse, Kansas State, and Michigan State plus almost a half-court shot falling in to beat Duke. They proved that they can play with any team in the nation with their fearless attitude. 

While Duke was the last 1 seed standing, I loved that they were the only ones in the Final Four.  Anyone can predict all four ones getting into the Final Four and while those games would probably have been exciting, I would much rather watch two teams playing above expectations. The fact that a team that can get hot at the right now and create a deep dent makes this tournament so fun. I think the TV ratings of the final game would prove that I am not only one who enjoys these versions of the NCAA Touranment.   

Quickly, my thoughts on Duke's National Championship season. I said in November how impressed I was with Duke early on (but I also dissed Butler pretty hard, yikes).  So I always kept a close eye on Duke because I thought they had enough to win the National Championship this year. They dominated the ACC for the most part and then getting probably the easiest bracket out of the four, it almost felt like this tournament was made for the Dukies.

 The play of Kyle Singler was unmatched by anyone else because not only did he play excellent on the offensive end, but the defense end as well, which sometimes you do not see from the star player. I think Singler should go pro with the chance of an NBA lockout in 2011, but who knows the opportunity playing again with Smith (expect him to come back), Seth Curry, Andre Dawkins, and the Plumlee Brothers.. that is a team with the abilty of compete for another National Championship.

-Charlie.

No comments: