The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mock Draft Part I

Someone at the bar asked me to do another mock draft like last year so naturally I took his request.

1.) St. Louis Rams- Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma- This is pretty much the obvious answer even though I would argue he isn’t the best player in this draft but the Rams have to go quarterback. They have passed on Mark Sanchez and Matt Ryan in the last two years so this year is the time to reel in their franchise quarterback.


2.) Detroit Lions- Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska- In my opinion, the best player in the draft and Suh I think has a chance to be a pass rusher like Reggie White. I think he is a class act and a hell of a player. Suh will help the Lions immediately and now they have Kyle Vanden Bosch, plus former Packer Corey Williams. I think the Lions have a scary front line now and honestly if they have a good draft, they will be close to 8-8.

3.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma- The Bucs ranked dead last in rush defense last year and they have been looking for the next Warren Sapp since he left. I think McCoy is a good player but I do not see the potential that everyone is talking about. I might be wrong but I could see him not panning out in Tampa. I am not convinced Raheem Morris is even close to being a good coach in the NFL.

4.) Washington Redskins- Trent Williams OT Oklahoma- Before we start, I find it amazing that three out of the first five picks are Sooners, unreal. I am reading more and more that Williams will fit in better with Mike Shanahan’s system. This makes sense to me because take away all of the Donovan McNabb hype, the running backs are the biggest parts of his system. The Williams pick would make sense much more than Russell Okung.

5.) Kansas City Chiefs- Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State- Let me remind you that no one outside of the Big 12 goes top five this year, I am sure Warren G. Harding roamed the earth when the last time this happened. I really cannot see Scot Pioli knowing his past drafts taking a guy like Eric Berry and any rebuilding team could use a tackle. The other reason why I love teams taking offensive lineman is they seem to work out more times than not. I like Okung, I think he has a good frame and did good things against guys like McCoy/Suh.

6.) Seattle Seahawks- Bryan Bulaga, OT Iowa- Pretty weird to see all of these tackles go off the board so quick but the Bulaga is a great option for the Hawks’ at number six. He played in a zone-blocking system at Iowa and the O-Line mastermind Alex Gibbs will be running that same system with the Seahawks. He will be a force for them right away and I think he can contribute for them.

7.) Cleveland Browns- Eric Berry S Tennessee- People rank Berry as the fourth-best player in this draft and I understand that you do not take a safety that early in the draft usually…BUT Berry will be special. I think the Ed Reed comparison works but I think the late great Sean Taylor is a better one; someone who can hit harder than a semi and cover the field. ProFootballTalk had a stat that the Browns allowed 62 plays over 20 yards. They need secondary help like you wouldn’t believe.

8.) Oakland Raiders- Mike Iupati G Idaho- I have been hearing all over Twitter that this is going to happen and to be honest, I wouldn’t doubt it. The Raiders are the most unpredictable team in the draft, they could take Dan Williams/Jason Pierre-Paul/Bruce Campbell, which all probably would be a stretch at eight. Do not hold out the chance that they trade this pick to the Pittsburgh Steelers for Big Ben, I have this sneaky suspicion that they will pull the trigger on this trade. I demand that Big Ben brings back his pro wrestling haircut if this happens, please God do this one for me.

9.) Buffalo Bills- Dan Williams DT Tennessee- People all were saying that Jimmy Clausen will be chosen at this spot but on Bill Simmons’ podcast I believe Mike Lombardi of NFL Network said that coach Chan Gailey always has had an athletic quarterback like Quincy Carter, Ray Lucas, Kordell Stewart, and even Reggie Ball at Georgia Tech. They need a strong defensive tackle and make their D even better. I wouldn’t be surprised if they get another high second round for Marshawn Lynch.

10.) Jacksonville Jaguars- Earl Thomas S Texas- I do not think Thomas will get drafted here rather the Jags will probably trade down to get him but I really do not think the Jags need a guy like Derrick Morgan after already drafting Derrick Harvey, a couple years ago. Thomas will be a good player for years to come, I like him as a player and think he could contribute right away.

11.) Denver Broncos- Rolando McClain ILB Alabama- People are all over Dez Bryant going here and wouldn’t that be repeating the Brandon Marshall situation with just a higher pick? McClain is a guy I liked at Bama and thought he had all the abilities to be a stud in the NFL. They make a scary combination with Elvis Dumervil, D.J. Williams, and now McClain.

12.) Miami Dolphins- Sergio Kindle OLB Texas- I think if the draft goes this way then the Phins will trade down, I mean ideally they would love Earl Thomas but if he is not there, I don’t think it makes sense to take any of the OLB/DE hybrids that are available in the draft. I personally like Kindle, I think Brian Orakpo of the Washington Redskins is proof that the Longhorn defensive ends can make the conversion to outside linebacker.

13.) San Francisco 49ers- Joe Haden DB Florida- The Niners really should take Jimmy Clausen here but they are convinced that Alex Smith is still the future of their team, which would disappoint me as a Niner fan. It has been shown that these rookie quarterback can be average, yet assist a good team into a contender for the playoffs especially in the NFC West. Alas, they will take Haden to hopefully replace the disaster that is Nate Clements. Haden impressed me greatly throughout his college football career dating back to the Gators’ National Championship

14.) Seattle Seahawks- C.J. Spiller RB Clemson- This is probably the most obvious pick other than the Top 3. Can you name me a Seahawk running back? Julius Jones? Who? Spiller will give Pete Carroll dreams of Reggie Bush’s career at USC and his offense will be able to exploit the skills of Spiller. Personally my favorite player in the draft, ever since his huge game at Miami this season I have been on his bandwagon for the Packers to draft, but no way he falls that low. In my opinion, Spiller is the type of guy who could be Rookie of the Year.

15.) New York Giants- Anthony Davis OT Rutgers- Once considered to be a top 10 pick by some in the beginning stages of the draft process, now see himself as a guy who could be 10-20, or 20-30. I think Davis addresses some issues the Giants have on the offensive line who always seem to be banged up or give up sacks against Eli Manning. To me, Davis seems sort of soft and playing in the Big East isn’t saying much. I think he will need some time to mature.

16.) Tennessee Titans- Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida- Yes this is the guy who can do back flips, and yes he is the guy who only played one year of D1. He is extremely raw but I think if the Titans give him some time to progress, he could be really good. Tennessee has done a great job producing home-grown defensive lineman and letting Kyle Vanden Bosch walk this offseason is a sign to me this is where they are going in the draft.

Keep reading for Part II

-Charlie.

No comments: