The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, April 1, 2010

NL West Preview

Saving the NL Central for last because it's the most important one of the six divisions.  So we move on to the NL West where it should be an interesting year.  

1. Colorado Rockies- KEY ACQ: Miller Brewing Company (seriously they kept most of their team, nothing new) I LIKE: Jorge De La Rosa- It's crazy to think how bad he was with the Brewers and average at best with the Royals, I think he could be a big contributor to the Roxs.  I HATE: Huston Street- Sort of an obvious one, but he is already hurt proving why it never pays to bring in a closer.  PREDICTION: Amazed to hear that Buster Olney picked them to win it all, but I think they could make a deep run with some of the talent they have this season.

2. San Francisco Giants- KEY ACQ: 1B Aubry Huff  3B Mark DeRosa  SP Todd Wellenmeyer I LIKE: Pablo Sandoval- I think Kung Fu Panda keeps getting better and eases the Giants' mind on their offensive woes.  I HATE: Barry Zito- Are we convinced that he is a different player now? I mean he still throws so slow and unless he becomes like Jamie Moyer, I don't see him being very effective. PREDICTION: They will fight all year for the NL West title and if Jonathan Sanchez/Wellenmeyer come through they could have a huge year. Also they need runs from the middle of their order.

3. Los Angeles Dodgers- KEY ACQ: Jamie McCourt's defense lawyer I LIKE: Clayton Kershaw- Another great young player that will be growing within the years and I believe will probably be their best pitcher this year. I HATE: Manny Ramirez- I could see him being a huge problem for the Dodgers as they struggle and wouldn't be shocked if he gets shipped out in July.  PREDICTION: The divorce of the owner and CEO sent this team for a tailspin leading to no new free agents. In addition, Vincente Padilla as your Opening Day starter is never a good idea.

4. Arizona Diamondbacks- KEY ACQ: 1B Adam LaRoche 2B Kelly Johnson SP Edwin Jackson SP Ian Kennedy SP Rodrigo Lopez  I LIKE: Justin Upton- I know it's a sexy pick but he is a man. I love the things he can do with his bat and hopefully he for average more. I HATE: New pitcher 1, 2, or 3- You cannot tell me that all three of those guys will work out for the Dbacks, I see much change in their rotation. PREDICTION: If Brandon Webb stays healthy, they become a better team by probably 7-10 wins but they will need the bottom half of the rotation to go against my opinion if they want to move higher than fourth best.

5. San Diego Padres- KEY ACQ: SP Jon Garland I LIKE: Clayton Richard- A big part of the Peavy deal who I think can flourish in the upcoming season. He will be a vital asset for the Fathers. I HATE: Chase Headley- Not so much him as a player rather where he is batting. There are maybe three teams if that where he is a clean-up hitter.  PREDICTION: I really think they have a young group that could do some things but I am willing to bet they trade Adrian Gonzalez and Heath Bell by the deadline so that will hurt their second half numbers severely.

-Charlie.

No comments: