The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, April 1, 2010

NL East Preview

We are moving on to the National League and unlike the American League where I think 10 teams could legitimately make the playoffs, I believe only about six teams maybe could make the playoffs in the NL.  

1. Philadelphia Phillies- KEY ACQ: SP Roy Halladay  I LIKE: Jayson Werth-He basically is everything that I want Corey Hart to be, I absolutely love him as a player and the first year I haven't had him in fantasy baseball.  I HATE: Raul Ibanez- He just keeps getting older so I cannot imagine him pulling out another huge year like last year.  PREDICTION: I think they have the ability to get to the World Series but I believe Cole Hamels has to be in 2008 form to get there because not  just Halladay will carry them there.  

2. Atlanta Braves- KEY ACQ: 1B Troy Glaus RP Billy Wagner I LIKE: Jason Heyward- LOVE him seriously, probably the biggest man crush of the spring. I agree with people who say the hype is comparable to Ken Griffey Jr.  I am willing to bet he hits as high as five in the order come June. I HATE: Nate McClouth- He is a good player but I am not sure that he will be an ideal leadoff hitter for the Braves. I could see him contributing better as a two or seven hitter.  PREDICTION: It's very likely that Atlanta could get back to the playoffs, but I am not sure that Billy Wagner will be a great option plus Derek Lowe doesn't excite me that much.

3. Florida Marlins- KEY ACQ: SP Nate Robertson I LIKE: Cameron Maybin- He was one of the top prospects a couple years ago and I believe that he could be ready to take it big time.  I HATE: Josh Johnson- He is a great pitcher but he has shown some health issues in the past, never a good sign.  PREDICTION: Does it bother the 82 Marlins fans that Joe Girardi was once their manager, and now a World Series winner?  Tough, the Fish might be able to get into the Wild Card discussion if their pitching holds up and everybody is real excited about Ricky Nolasco's season.

4. New York Mets- KEY ACQ: OF Jason Bay, C Rod Barajas  I LIKE: David Wright- I know you shouldn't look into how players do in the spring, but Wright has had one of the best springs so far therefore it's hard not to notice what he is doing.  I HATE: Oliver Perez- He hasn't looked the greatest this year and I have never been a big fan of Perez, the only team he seems to do well against the Brewers.  PREDICTION: Jerry Manuel will be out before July and Omar Minaya by the end of the year. The Mets do not have enough pitching to carry them in a brutal NL East.

5. Washington Nationals- KEY ACQ: C Ivan Rodriguez, RP Matt Capps, SP Jason Marquis, 2B Adam Kennedy I LIKE: Ian Desmond- A prospect who got the starting nod over long time shortstop Cristian Guzman, which to me show signs of a bright future. I HATE: Livan Hernandez- Seriously how old is this guy? You cannot keep thinking that he will be able to win 10+ games and be alright. PREDICTION: The Nationals will take some bumps but they will be a better team this year plus the city will be alive once Stephen Strasburg makes it to the majors.

-Charlie.

No comments: