The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Masters Made For Phil

I probably watched the most Masters I have ever watched because I wanted to see how Tiger Woods responded to all the pressure and I saw that plus a ton of great golf.  Truly a special weekend in Augusta for multiple people.   

Before we talk about Phil, I was impressed with how good Tiger Woods played. I understand he had multiple bogeys and yo-yoed more than Jessica Simpson's weight but seriously to finish fourth with the media breathing down your neck is pretty awesome.  He made some great shots but you could tell he was rusty with the short game. I felt if he had made birdie on 14, he could eagle and birdie the next which would have made a push at Mickelson yet probably wouldn't have won it. I will bet a bunch of cash that Tiger wins at least one this year. 

On to Phil Mickelson's great play, a guy who buried all the talk of him being a choke by dominating the course on Sunday with a bogey-free round.  Granted, Phil had some dogshit shots especially off the tee but still he found a way to make par or even birdie (that shot on 13 ranks in my top ten of the best shots). Because of various reasons, I missed Phil's back-to-back eagles which disappoints me to say but I had no one in the room who wanted to watch golf, sad times.  Even watching the replays, I had the feeling that Phil was going to win this thing going into Sunday.  Then you see all the breaks he caught during the final round, I knew Phil was going to win this thing, no way was he choking this one away like he has done at multiple US Opens. 

I believe that to complete Phil's career, he wants that US Open badly.  He could definitely win at Pebble Beach, where I believe he has won before. I think after all the hardships the US Open has caused him throughout his career and he would want that US Open.  Phil is no longer in the category of Greg Norman and others who have choked in the past, I can no longer call Phil a choke... This saddens me but I still have Sergio Garcia. 

I am not in any way a Phil fan but I did love to see him win because of all of the things he has gone through this year with both his mom and wife battling breast cancer. I am sure golf seems so trivial when that stuff is happening but Mickelson found a way to win the biggest tournament for the golf season.

-Charlie.

No comments: