The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, April 12, 2010

Where Did the Old Times Go?

Last night before I headed to bed, I checked my Facebook and see the Daily Dose's main man Mitch say that he heard boos for Trevor Hoffman tonight who blew his second save in as many days. I understand why some Brewer fans would be upset but I cannot believe how early the boobirds have started.  The new Brewer fan base shouldn't be known as loyal rather a bunch of over reactors.

I am not talking about the guys who have seen many games at County Stadium when the likes of Ricky Bones, Matt Mieske, Dave Nilsson, and Jamie Narravo to name a few where trotted out and there was a beer mug for Bernie Brewer.  I and others my age endured many years of shitty baseball yet we still stood by our team. Even into Miller Park in the first couple years, the Crew struggled and people like my friends and I would just go on a whim to get tickets because we knew they would be available on any night plus all we wanted to do is watch baseball.  Those days are gone, and so are seeing the Brewers as the awkward kid in our professional family, so there goes the full on support we once had at County Stadium. 

I would say this all started when the Brewers made their original run to the playoffs in the summer of 2007 and people really started to support the Crew in droves although when the collapse happened there were only a few of us to catch them showing the support.  The next year the Brewers made the playoffs and everyone was taking their family to the games, the JJ Hardy shirt jersey girls with short skirts were all over the place (Can't say I didn't love that part), and the obnoxious fans that do not know baseball. I realize that in any sport there will be those people but this is getting ridiculous, I just want to see the Brewers' fans get behind a guy when he struggles for a couple days or a week.  

I completely get booing a guy if he sucks for more than two weeks because in my opinion, that is much more than a slump.  I saw it out of J.J. Hardy, and Bill Hall, but I think the fans expect so much that the pressure these guys are under is tremendous. People need to relax a bit and realize that it's very rare to have everyone hitting at the same time.  Drastic changes are not needed right away because these guys are professionals who will figure out how to rite the ship.

-Charlie.

No comments: