The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, April 8, 2010

2010 Masters Selections

I am known for picking one, Tiger Woods on the blog many times.  Just click on the PGA label and you will see how many times I have selected Woods to win a Major.  I think this year is probably his best chance to complete the Grand Slam of Golf but sadly, I am not picking him in the largest sporting event of the year. I said that in November and I am sticking to that. 

1.) Paddy Harrington- A guy who I do not think a lot of people are talking about and they really need to be. He hasn't had the greatest 2010 but honestly, I think people including me sometimes look too much into that. They need to see how well they have done in Major tournaments because I really feel it takes a certain golfer to win a major.  I think Harrington will hoist the Green Jacket for the first time in his career. 

2.) Tiger Woods- I really think everything needs to fall into place for Woods to win this major. I think he needs to play about even or a little better above par in the first two rounds, then make his strike on the weekend if he wants to win. If he comes out there with 65-67 on day 1 or day 2, the hype will be suffocating and something I am unsure Woods will be able to handle.  It sounds weird to say that but the hype is already at an all-time high, I couldn't fathom what it will be like if he is leading going into the weekend.

3.) Steve Stricker- It's crazy that someone who wasn't even on the map a couple years ago now has the title of Best Guy Without a Major.  He is an excellent putter, which as we all know could be the difference from the Green Jacket or second place. I think Stricker, unlike Woods needs to have a good couple of rounds to convince himself that he can win this tournament. In my opinion, the confidence level for Stricker is shot at Augusta, he doesn't feel that he can win the Masters.

4.) Ernie Els- He might be the sexy pick of the Masters but the Big Easy has his shit together for the first time in a long while. He is a great ball-striker and can really do some pretty things along the green. I do believe he tends to wilt under pressure when Tiger is breathing down his neck so it would be very interesting to see if Els could maintain a lead with Woods a stroke behind or be able to catch Woods if he was leading.

5.) Anthony Kim- Not really a wild card because he has won a couple times on the tour and is playing good golf (still hate that statement!) but he would come out of nowhere if he wins this tournament. No one expects the young Kim to withstand the pressure of the Masters but honestly, I think he is the type of player whose fearless attitude could win him the Masters. He isn't scared and sometimes that is a good thing.

I can only hope/pray that Tiger Woods is in the final group on the back nine Sunday. It might be wishful thinking but still, one can hope.

-Charlie.

No comments: