The New Logo

The New Logo

Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Black Hole Will Be Great for Campbell

Something weird happened this NFL Draft weekend, the Oakland Raiders actually made moves to make their team better than just screw them for a couple of years.  Granted, the Richard Seymour trade will come back to haunt them next year if they struggle but maybe they are making sure that will not happen.  They acquire Jason Campbell from the Washington Redskins and now I have to ask could the Raiders actually play with the big boys?

I think Campbell gets a bad rap from the D.C. media for various reasons because he hasn't been able to carry the Skins to any success but here's the thing... He has had constant change to deal with every year. Campbell has had six offensive coordinators in six years, you cannot tell me a player will rise to their true potential if they are dealing with that shit learning a new offense every July.  If that was me, I know I would have struggled as much as Campbell did and the other thing people fail to realize...

He isn't a guy that will light up the scoreboard like an Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or a Philip Rivers but he can lead your team on long drives if you let him.  I would not like Campbell throw the ball pass 20 yards because he tends to get in trouble when he throws it vertically down the field.  Campbell's system needs to have a plethora of slants, screens, posts, ins, and everything else close. Obviously, the occasional fly route needs to happen to keep the defense at bay but Campbell doesn't need all of to be successful.

I am pulling for Campbell because I think we got an unbelievably unfair shake in Washington due to the fact, the hype around him was the type of a top 10 quarterback.  He isn't that, so let R.I.P. that argument and just know he is an above average quarterback who can maybe get you to the playoffs with the right combination of tools.  I do not think the Raiders will get to the playoffs this year but I think Campbell has added three to five wins at least for Raider nation.

-Charlie.

No comments: