The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Marshall Heads to the 305

A couple days after the New York Jets brought in a troubled wide receiver Santonio Holmes, the Miami Dolphins did their own version by bringing in Brandon Marshall.  Even though, the Phins had to give up more to get him, Marshall > Holmes without any doubt in my mind.

In the past couple of years, I thought Marshall seemed like a head case and a guy who was much more of a distraction than a helpful member of my team.  Then when I learned that Marshall might have had a lot to do with Darrent Williams' death a couple years back and that Denver area brings back those memories.  I cannot help but to feel for Marshall in that situation, although the domestic abuse stuff I cannot stand for or put up with.  BUT will he make the Dolphins better and make a super competitive AFC East... yes it does. 

If you click on the Marshall label at the end of the post, you will see that I haven't been the biggest Marshall fan but I will not argue against his huge numbers in three consecutive seasons, I mean these are numbers that are so hard to argue with.  It's really hard to believe that the Denver Broncos had to part ways with him. 

First off having 100 receptions in three straight games is pretty impressive meaning that he will be a reliable guy for whoever is his quarterback.  I have wondered a couple times if Marshall made Jay Cutler a better quarterback than he really was? (Somewhere Fant is smashing his head on the keyboard)  I think the same thing is going to happen with Chad Henne. I always thought when he played at Michigan that he had a chance to be a very good quarterback.  He hasn't had a receiver to save his soul in his full year and I am going to say Henne will have a break-out year.

The other thing I like about Marshall is he isn't just getting a bunch of catches, rather he is averaging over 10 yards a catch and obviously, this means that Marshall is getting a first down most of the time he is catching the ball.  That is a huge assist to your team and this probably means he is doing big things after he catches the football.  He averaged 5.4 and ended up in the top five in YAC in 2009 this season, arguably one of the biggest assists for a team to have. The other thing that Marshall does especially for the Dolphins is that opposing defenses cannot crowd the box to stop the rushing attack of Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams like teams did the last couple of years. You do have to wonder if as the years go on, will Tony Sparano be better in the time management category and play calling?

Now, the Patriots have to do something I believe because if they do not, I think they will finish no higher than third.  The Phins now have a powerful offense with a pretty solid defense who added Karlos Dansby from the Arizona Cardinals and we already went over a couple of days ago about how good the New York Jets will be next year.  The ball is in The Hooded One corner and if he stubbornly goes through the draft plus the next couple of months, that will be the official end of the Patriots dynasty.

-Charlie. 





No comments: