The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Marquette Madness

Once again, I was planning on doing something about Marquette heartbreaking defeat to the Notre Dame Fightin' Irish at home this weekend. My thoughts on the game, the Warriors didn't do enough on the defensive end in terms of rebounding and I felt it was one of those games where Marquette had "the foot on the throat but didn't step down".  Multiple times, the Warriors had seven or nine points leads and they couldn't seal the deal. 

Anyways, that isn't what I wanted to talk about more so discussing the Lazar Hayward snub and the worry I have about the Big East Conference tournament because I feel there is too much hype surrounding Marquette. 

I cannot believe that the Big East voters went with Luke Harangody as a first team Big East instead of Hayward. Let me remind you that Hayward scored double-digits in 28 out of the 30 games for Marquette.   Not to mention if Hayward didn't play in multiple games like Harangody did, the Golden Eagles would be barely hanging on the bubble instead of being pretty much in the tournament right now. Lazar helped take a team that was expected to be a 12th place team this year in the Big East to a fifth place team with a chance to make the NCAA Tournament.  

I just find it mesmerizing that the Big East would give the first team glory to a guy whose team actually played BETTER without him.  I hope that he plays in the Figthin' Irish first Big East conference championship game only to lose to Seton Hall/Providence.  My other hope is that Zar shows all those Big East people why they made a big time mistake. 

On to our second topic, I am worried about all the hype about Marquette because it appears this season especially that this team doesn't like the spotlight. They would rather hang out under the radar and have nobody really care about them. When it seemed to be at all-time high heading into the Pittsburgh game, which was on ESPN... they completely choked.  There is a part of me that feels like the Golden Eagles could lay a complete egg this week. I think they will beat St. Johns tomorrow and I believe they can beat Syracuse if the chips fall right. Although, let's remember Madison Square Garden is the Johnnies home part of the year and they took MU to the buzzer.  

Should be a fun week, more to come on Championship Week.

-Charlie.

No comments: