The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Championship Week Predictions

Some people love Championship Week and some people hate it (here's looking to you B-Squared, Bob Knight, and Skip Bayless).  I personally am a huge fan because it gives a team a chance to dance with the big boys if they can find that fire for one weekend.  Here is how I will break things down for your Championship Week predictions.  SHOULD WIN: The Team that I would consider the favorite  MIGHT WIN: Not a shocker, but may turn a few heads.  SLEEPER: It's different for every conference but basically a team that is the mid-lower part of the bracket.  WINNER: Self-explanatory.

Big East
SHOULD WIN: Syracuse- I think they are the best team in the Big East with their massive size inside that really no one can match and they have probably one of the top five most versitile players in Wesley Johnson. I do worry about their point guard play and feel that could get exposed by the right team. 

MIGHT WIN: Villanova- Now, some may say "Chuck, you are picking against your boys (Marquette) in the quarters with this pick, what gives?"  Here's the deal, I have no faith in Pittsburgh/West Virginia, too many times those two teams have fell asleep at the wheel causing them to lose a game they shouldn't. 

SLEEPER: Georgetown- Yes I know I said they are big stay-away in the NCAA Tournament, but is there any scarier team that the Hoyas at an eight seed?  I mean Greg Monroe lacks an offensive skill set but the man passes better inside then any other big men I have seen.  Not to mention, Austin Freeman still should give the Hoyas some quality minutes.

WINNER: Syracuse takes down Georgetown, Marquette (sad, but it will be close), and West Virginia.

Silly me, I didn't realize there were other tourneys started today.  Well there wasn't any surprised except for Nebraska drilling Missouri by 15 points, which makes me wonder if the Tigers are on the bubble now.  Either way, it helps Marquette so im happy.

Big 12
SHOULD WIN: Kansas- I really do not think this is a question.  The Jayhawks have mowed down the Big 12 minus a hiccup against Oklahoma State on the road.  I think if they keep staying the course and play good basketball, they will win this.

MIGHT WIN: Baylor- I had a big love affair with Kansas State earlier this year, but I am starting to become worried as they dropped a winnable game against Iowa State last Sautrday. Baylor is very athletic and if they keep their head, they can win some ball games.

SLEEPER: Oklahoma State- I think this is the one team no one wants to see because of James Anderson. In my mind, he should be considered a first-round draft pick right now and he can easily put this team on his shoulders. I think they will make it to the semifinals. 

WINNER:  Kansas and they will look good doing it.  beating Texas Tech-Texas A&M-Baylor 

Big 10
SHOULD WIN: Ohio State- I think you could put any of the top three teams in the Big Ten but I like the Buckeyes the most because of Evan Turner. I think he like Anderson can take over the game and lead his team to victory. 

MIGHT WIN: Wisconsin- Mach just slammed his head into his desk but the Badgers always play well in the conference tournament and Jon Leuer seems to be getting back into the swing of things after his wrist injury. I thought the Badgers were the second-best team in the Big 10 when things were gelling with Leuer.

SLEEPER: Minnesota- The Gophers are the most unpredictable team in college basketball. They sometimes look like world-beaters and other days they just seem to not care. I am not sure what Gopher team you will get this weekend. 

WINNER: Michigan State- One seeds in all these tourneys cannot win so I will take Sparty beating... Minnesosta-Purdue-Wisconsin, I think this might be the best tourney.

ACC

SHOULD WIN: Duke- The Dukies have the leadership and the experience that makes people want to believe they could be a Final Four team this season but recently, Coach K's-led teams have been known to fade in the month of March. I think this week holds a lot of water in many people's eyes to see how far Duke can go.

MIGHT WIN: Maryland- I really want to see another Greveis Vasquez vs. the Dukies matchup because I think there is some good-natured bad blood between him and the Blue Devils. I also think the Terps might be lurking in the weeds as a deadly team in the coming weeks. Like Duke, this week is very big to see if Maryland is worth investing in.

SLEEPER: Clemson- The Tigers have the talent to be right up there with Duke/Maryland but they seem to lack the focus it takes to stay on top. That has been the case for the last three to five years, but I still think Trevor Booker provides a tough matchup for any team he faces.

WINNER: Duke- I had trouble coming to a decision but I think the road for the Blue Devils is much easier than the Terps therefore when they matchup in the finals, I believe you will see a tired Maryland team. Duke wins by beating Boston College-Wake Forest-Maryland

3 comments:

mtrinks76 said...

are u still saying greg monroe lacks an offensive skill set lol he took over the big east tournament lol

Unknown said...

Monroe is awesome in terms of passing, but trust me, there are games he will disappear. He can do a lot of things on the court unlike other big guys. I would personally draft Monroe if I had a pick from 8-12

mtrinks76 said...

really for a 6'11" guy with a wide skill set and a ton of room for improvement top five if u ask me idk if ur getting spoiled with the one and dones having instant success in the nba but big guys offensive skills usually take the longest to develop look at dwight howard can drop 20 any night but u wouldnt consider him a great offensive player but he improves his post moves every year