The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, September 28, 2009

The Talk of the Midwest

Well I thought he was crazy. My buddy JS is a student at the University of Iowa and he had been telling me through Tweeting and various other sources that the Hawkeyes would be able to get it done in Happy Valley. I mentioned in the preview that Iowa would come close but no cigar, I was wrong on that front as the Hawkeyes won 21-10

The defense for Iowa was staggering. They were playing old-school smash mouth Big Ten Football at its finest. JS has been talking up Adrian Clayborn and I cannot disagree. He set the tone in the fourth quarter with the blocked punt for the touchdown. Further, the Nittany Lion offensive line was no match for him off the edge. Every time he seemed to be disrupting the quarterback. I didn't say this originally in my preview but the defense of Iowa was the reason why Daryll Clark was so bad after a hot start. It wasn't that he was nervous or anything like that, the D just shut him down and Evan Royster completly.

You really do have to wonder if this team is for real? Now say what you want about almost losing to Northern Iowa, I really feel that was not only a wake-up call but I think it will prevent a letdown from happening somewhere down the road. Looking at their schedule, obviously the Ohio State game on the road is huge but I do not see why it isn't winnable. They have always played well against the Wisconsin Badgers home/away and JS expressed worry about Michigan State. Well I have a stat to back that up, they haven't won in East Lansing since 1995.

I would really like to see Iowa or someone else not named Michigan, Penn State, or Ohio State win the Big Ten this year. Its always nice to see a change in teams make up. JS wrote on my wall "Smells like Roses" so he is ready to "Kiss da baby" to the Big Ten but I will assess that once they get to the Horseshoe.

-Charlie

No comments: