The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Bobby Cox: A Firey Class Act

I apologize for the lack of posting in the month of September but school has started plus a mild obsession with Dexter has led me to not post as much as I probably should. Maybe its better because you are getting my best work. Anyways, it will be a busy October with Brewer grades plus an overall thoughts on the season. Add that along with all the football stuff plus postseason baseball.

Lets talk some baseball to start off the day with the announced retirement of Bobby Cox in 2010 from the Atlanta Braves. This is a major loss for baseball and the Atlanta Braves franchise. He was a class act and he vaulted the Braves into one of the well-known MLB franchises throughout the 90s and early 00s. The one that I loved Cox's passion that he brought to game where honestly you could be hungover and still play like a champ (I believe many guys do but thats just me). I loved the fact Cox got ejected 100+ times and I always enjoyed see him get tossed.

There were so many players that made a name for themselves under Cox like Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, David Justice, Chipper Jones, Fred McGriff, and Jermanie Dye. There are many others that I could name too but Cox was a complete difference maker in many careers.

Many people could criticize Cox for the fact he could only get his team to the playoffs and not close. I think that is unwarranted because the New York Yankees and the rest of the American League at that time (still today) was dominant. In addition, you look at the Cleveland Indian team they played in 95 was a no-doubt about it one of the best teams to not win a World Series.

-Charlie.

No comments: