The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Jim Calhoun Needs a Public Relations Class

I have debated with covering this topic for a couple days now but since we are a day away from the biggest Marquette game of the year against Connecticut. I have decided to disect the comments of Jim Calhoun made on Saturday after a win against South Florida. Here are his comments from the New York Times...

Considering that you are the state’s highest-paid employee, and there is a $2 billion budget deficit, do you think…,” began Ken Krayeske, an activist who had somehow wangled a press pass to the game. But before he could get any further, Mr. Calhoun cut him off.
“Not a dime back,” the UConn coach replied testily.
Krayeske: “$1.5 million is enough?”
Calhoun: “I make a lot more than that. What’s the take tonight?”
When Mr. Krayeske said he didn’t know, Mr. Calhoun told him to “shut up,” Heres the video if you are visual learner....

I do have to give credit to Doz on this one who asked me if I had seen this on Sunday afternoon and his feelings were the same. In my opinion, yes Jim Calhoun had every reason to mad about the fact a reporter was talking about the economy instead of the victory against South Florida (I hate when Politics and Sports mesh, just stupid). But he handled that completely the wrong way, he could of said "I coach basketball, I am not an economist so your thoughts on the game." If theres no comment, then Calhoun can just say "Shut up and next question."

Yes I do believe that Calhoun has deserved the contract he has just like Roy Williams, Bill Self, and Billy Donovan so there is no reason why Calhoun shouldnt be in the top ten of highest paid coaches. Once again, I do feel that he just acts so brash and arrogant therefore coming off like an asshole.

Stay Classy Jimbo.

-Charlie.

No comments: