The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's About That Time.

Dan Patrick does something on 1250 AM WSSP where he gives his two cents on some thing and today, he was talking about successful small market teams so far this season and compared the Major League Baseball season as a three act play and June 1st is the start of Act II.  Maybe, that will be a good thing for the Brewers this season but my expectations are low.

I am starting to talk myself into the fact that the Brewers just aren't a good team and that I shouldn't expect this team to go off on a 10 game winning streak or win something crazy like 14 out of 16.  I want that to happen and there were times these first two months I believed that would actually happen. Any optimistic Brewer fan believed that they could make a run and putting themselves back into the NL Central race. 

Currently, they have the NL league leader in RBI (Casey McGehee) even though thats becoming an irrelevant stat, still shows how much production the Brewers are putting on the base pads. Also they have the NL league leader in triples (Alcides Escobar) and home runs (Corey Hart).  I think if you looked at the offensive stats, people would believe the Brewers are in the NL Central mix. But sadly, they have no pitching and things will probably not get better.

I tried to think of a team they remind me of and all I could think of is the 2008 Green Bay Packers who could score a ton of points but their defense couldn't stop anyone partly due to the monumental amount of injuries.  Thankfully, they fixed the next year and got to the playoffs making a four win turnaround with heighten expectations for this upcoming year. The Brewers aren't dead just yet but can they really win ball games with three starters that have above 4.50 ERAs and the real disturbing thing is the Crew only has four guys who are under four.  I know that if you don't have pitching, you won't win many ball games, simple as that.  I have no idea how I would fix it and who knows maybe Chris Capuano lights a fire, baseball is a crazy game sometimes.

In January, I buried the Marquette Golden Eagles and they made an unreal run where they figured everything out putting together one of the more incredible seasons I have seen. Looking at their schedule, it's pretty daunting but they just need to keep winning series. The focus shouldn't be the top, just getting to third first by playing better than the Chicago Cubs.  If we as fans think of smaller goals and be more supportive (minus Jeff Suppan), it makes things easier.

This team isn't dead but the expectations have been lower.  Now it's the Brewers turn to raise the bar again by having a great June. Only time will tell if things will improved but you bet I will watch every game with hopes of a win.  

-Charlie.

1 comment:

Sepehr said...

Time to fire Doug Melvin chuck... the signings of Wolf, Davis, Hawkins didnt make any sense... nor the signing of Looper, Bush, Suppan, Riske, Gagne... just too many bad moves by this GM, cant blame Macha for the horrible pitching he has