The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Stephen Strasburg Taking Over D.C.

I realize he just started his Major League Debut but comin' in hot late is my thing. The Washington Nationals superstar Stephan Strasburg has got more hype today than anyone in Major League Baseball in recent memory.After having one of the worst professional sports seasons of recent memory, Washington seems to be on the rebound with John Wall probably coming to the Wizards and the dawning of a new era with Strasburg.  The young stars of D.C. will be marketed like crazy and there will be a ton of kids in the DMV area that will rep their hero whether it be Strasburg, Wall, or Ovie.  I am personally excited to watch him perform and I really do think he will be the best thing in Washington D.C.'

I wouldn't be surprised if Strasburg struggles in his first star with more than 200 media personal in attendance (usually those type of numbers are for League Championship Series) but I think as the season continues, he will blossom into a pretty reliable pitcher. I am not ready to say he will be a Cy Young favorite in his first couple of years, but he will be a guy you can count on in the middle of the starting rotation. Another question that needs to be answered especially after the Nationals added power hitter stud Bryce Harper last night, will the Nationals be in the playoffs in the next three to five years? 

My answer would be yes. I joked years ago that in 2010 we would see a Tampa Bay-Milwaukee World Series (whoops on the Brewers end) but seriously, the Nationals will be a playoff contender in the coming years with the money coming in with near sellouts every time Strasburg takes the mound this summer/fall and the merchandise revenue that will come with it will lead to them being able to re-sign their prized possessions and bring in big name free agents. Although,Philadelphia still has a chance to be lethal for years to come but their pitching continues to get older, Florida could contend if they don't decide to blow everything up, Atlanta with Heyward, and who knows with New York. The NL East will be the most competitive division for years to come and the Nationals will be right in the mix, no more days of cellar-dwelling. 

I will predict Strasburg finishes with about 8 wins and 3 losses somewhere with a 3.85-4 ERA.  I know if Washington plays in Milwaukee and he is scheduled to pitch, I am making it a point to go to the game to see him pitch because I am buying into the hype that he is the next pitcher and I want to be able tell people I saw Strasburg pitch.

-Charlie.

No comments: