The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Jim Joyce: Hated More Than Honda

My roommates and I started using people's last names to describe a tendency that said person does a lot. For instance, one of them tends to expand the truth a wee bit so his last name gets inserted into anything we believe to be a lie.  Anyways, there is a new last name that we can put in that category, Joycin it also known as missing something big.  For example, "Hey did you catch the new Entourage?!" "Nope, I really Joyced that one guys.  Or "Dude she flashed the whole party, where were you?!" "I was in the bathroom, man I really Joyced it tonight."

If you didn't hear already from ESPN, Brian Anderson, talk radio, or your grandmother... Jim Joyce called Jacob McDonald safe on a close play in the 9th inning of a perfect game being spun by Armando Galarraga. People were pissed to say the least after the game let out, and manager Jim Leyland who likely was drunk just became irate at Joyce and for good reason. He missed a call that would have gave the Tigers a perfect game performance and our third perfect game this year plus two in one week.  All of those stats would be phenomenal and something to talk about for the coming days.  Instead, we have to listen to people talk about Galarraga should be awarded a no-hitter or a perfect game and how this is the clear-cut example to add instant replay in baseball

Of course, a ninny like Keith Olbermann believes Galarraga should get a perfect game but to be honest, I do not think he wants that sort of treatment.  He had the best reaction after McDonald was called safe, almost like my buddy Eric's look of "Yeah that would happen to me." After the game, both sides were complete class acts about the whole ordeal.  Joyce apologized profusely in his post-game interview and Galarraga talked to him ending it with a bromance hug.  That is the reason why it should just be a one-hitter, mistakes happen all the time in various fields of work and both parties seemed to understand that tonight. Nothing made me happier than Joyce owning up to his mistake and Galarraga acting like he pitched a helluva game with no chance of a perfect game.

As for instant replay, if replay is expanded I want to hear people shut up about the length of the game. Because if you add replay, you add vital minutes in a game.  I really could care less either way, I mean all professional sports have it except for baseball but what will piss me off are the people who campaigned for replay but also want shorter games. Face it, you cannot make it work in my opinion. Who knows what the outcome will be but to me, it would be shocking if nothing changed after tonight's ordeal.

-Charlie.

No comments: