The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Now Bandwagon USC Fans Like Me Know How Paul Hackett Era Felt.

If you don't know who Paul Hackett is, he is the last coach for USC that didn't lead the Trojans to a bowl game, and if you didn't hear today the Trojans will not be in the postseason for the next two years.  Oof, I have a bunch of random thoughts about this one due to this being the first powerhouse since Auburn to get the harsh postseason ban. 

Did anyone not expect this though? Kind of like how people all knew that Lindsey Lohan would violate her probation multiple times.  I knew the hammer was coming down on USC because they gave them more strikes than Carmella Soprano, it had to happen.  Is this the death of USC Football?  No way, but it still means that there will be some rebuilding to do.  You might say 'no way' but I am willing to bet my piggy bank that there will be flux of USC recruits who a.) will not go there and b.) players who will transfer.  Trust me, USC will have to rebuild that stature of being a top 5 program unless they dominate the Pac-10 in the coming years. 

Something tells me these guys will not try as hard as Lane Kiffin would want them to.  I don't think Matt Barkely came to USC to spend two years watching teams play in the Rose Bowl and the BCS while he sits at home. There are only so many times that Kiffin will be able to play up the fact that the "Trojans are the spoiler this week guys, we are going to ruin their season." I just cannot see the effort being there for the Trojans all year but I do think this gives Kiffin a two-year window to do really whatever they want. 

I almost believe USC knew this was going to happen or something close to it.  That's why they didn't try too hard to keep Pete Carroll, a laid-back guy who I cannot see handling all of this very well. In addition, Carroll called up John Calipari to ask how to get the hell out of dodge before the NCAA comes down on me?  To me, he is the best coach of the 2000 and now his reputation definitely has to come into question like Calipari. Carroll will go down as a "guy who cheated but won a lot because of it." Bobby Bowden agrees with this statement.

A better question is did Lane Kiffin know that USC probably wouldn't be playing in the postseason? I am going to say no, but they probably warned Kiffin it could happen and they pitched the idea that this team needed to get hard. Therefore the Trojans transformed into this hard-ass program with Lane Kiffin who will not take shit from anyone. Then he calls out his offense in the spring game and Kiffin seems to be the right fit for what is going on at SC, I still believe his players won't buy in yet a hard-ass in this situation is so much better.

My title would say I am a USC fan. I like the Trojans and really liked the teams who cheated. I guess this is how it feels to like a team who didn't do it the right way. But let's be real, what team or coach does it the right way anymore?  People pamper these recruits like they are the King of Dubai and it's the old adage of it's not called 'cheating unless you get caught.'  USC got busted red-handed.

-Charlie.

No comments: