The New Logo

The New Logo

Thursday, June 24, 2010

United We Stand.

Rick Reilly: Shut up. 

Dan Shaughnessy: Shut up.

All others who don't give a rat ass' about soccer: Shut up.

Soccer has been brought to life by the 2010 World Cup.  The United States team takes Group C with a last second goal by Landon Donovan and successfully brought in so many new fans who need to prep themselves for Saturday's game against Ghana.   I sadly missed the game due to work and will for Saturday's as well but my sister taped the second half letting me listen to Ian Darke's beautiful call and the massive celebration.

Before the World Cup, everybody's criticism of Donovan is he never came up in big games and he basically shut that up real quick. I agreed with those people because I watched him sail a PK in the MLS Championship to win it.  Donavon just appeared to tense up when he played in big games and now, he appears fearless looking like the best soccer player the United States has ever had.  He did one of the most simple things in soccer for that goal, just follow up on the rebound and drill it in there.

Now my buddy Eric tweeted about Tim Howard not getting enough credit but I will do it here.  Howard's throw couldn't been any better and he saw something developing in the middle of the pitch leading to the goal. Howard facilitated that goal more than anyone else on the pitch and he made a bunch of clutch saves giving him what I believe is his first or second clean sheet in the World Cup.

Right now, not many midfielders are playing better than Donovan and not many keepers are doing things like Howard.  Are you telling me we might win this thing?  I think that is bit intense now but do I think the semifinals is possible?  Absolutely, the United States will remember their defeat from the Black Stars in 06 then move on to Uruguay/South Korea, they can definitely do things to be one of the last teams and stun the world like only the 1980 US Hockey team has. 

This is why the so-called haters need to jump on the overflowing bandwagon. Now, that we, the United States Men National Team is through to knockout stages, it is time for our country to get together just like we did in February when everybody was fixated on the US Men's Hockey team's run to the Silver Medal.   It's not about if you like soccer, hate soccer, it is about the United States and representing your country.

USA USA

-Charlie.

1 comment:

Sports Chump said...

Agreed, Chuck.

Long time, no speak.

I was checking up on ya', but yes, I totally agree.

I've been riveted to each US game since the tournament started. Even dropped a couple of pieces on it.

Swing by http://sportschump.net.

It's been a while.